lone wolf?

• April 26, 2012 3:58 AM PDT
    Maybe start a Facebook group to organize rides. My girl has a bike too and we set up kid friendly rides when our kids are with us and ones for the grown ups when they're not. I created our group just over a year ago and I've got close to two hundred members now. I can get at least a few people to ride any time I'm free and the weather isn't meant to be hostile.
    • 3006 posts
    April 26, 2012 8:47 AM PDT
    Not sure about carrying fuel,long range, tho I have carried fuel short range on my bike for my daugther before..in smaller dot approved container,yet I just threw into the saddle bag fit perfect.It does add a lot of weight too,thats another consideration also.especially over long distance rides
    • 1 posts
    April 26, 2012 9:22 AM PDT
    well that trumpy i bought last time had a 2 gallon tank strapped on the back rack..the guy who owned it reckoned he'd used it wtice in the yars he had it. Buti didn't bother with it..and gave it over to my mate. It still in Fargo as far as i know.
  • April 26, 2012 10:14 AM PDT
    Guero wrote...
    I can go about 200 miles on my new bike. Thinking about carrying an extra gallon or half gallon somehow. Gonna be loaded with luggage so not quite sure yet...... Anyone carry extra fuel?

I am guessing that you have some quite large distances between gas stations where you are...lol...here in London - in fact - almost EVERY road in ENGLAND that has a letter "A" in front of the number has at least a few gas stations on it...lol...in London you cant go a 1/4 mile without passing one...

...so I guess I am saying no...lol...over here we dont need to carry spare gas cans...lol...but having said that...I have run out a few times (but NEVER too far to walk)

Within a mile of where I live I have 6 gas stations I could use.....
    • 823 posts
    April 26, 2012 2:02 PM PDT
    Yes if you take the backroads and even some of the not so back roads out here in the southwest desert you had better bring fuel, water, food and a lighter. I have spent the night a couple of times out here years ago by mistake without all of the aforementioned. Not fun at all. I am older and wiser now. Also older, fatter and out of shape so I don't want to have to play survival.
  • April 27, 2012 12:14 AM PDT
    I've carried extra gas in a couple of camp stove bottles - spare cans for a coleman type stove. They are solid and seal well. Add weight in the saddlebags, but well worth the extra weight when you have long miles to travel between gas stations.
  • April 29, 2012 12:57 PM PDT
    I think I have a "feel" for where you are coming from. Given the choice to ride solo versus in a large group, I'll take solo 99.9% of the time. I will ride in groups, don't get me wrong, but I'm not comfortable in that environment. Yes, I'm retired military (21 yrs) and maybe that has something to do with it. I definitely am reserved until I get to know someone. The better half points that out first thing. Good? Bad? Beats the hell out of me.
    • 1855 posts
    April 30, 2012 1:57 AM PDT
    Guero, I just caught this post man. I completely understand. I told a friend just yesterday, "Look brother, no one stops by or calls much anymore. I could be lying dead on the floor for weeks before anyone would find me. So, if ya don't hear from me a couple times a month, check to see if I'm still alive". Ever in Ohio...stop in.

Peace