A Little Discouraged

• September 22, 2011 1:41 AM PDT
    Hi, being new to the world of street biking I recently purchased a Honda Shadow RS 750 as my first bike.  After much thought and deliberation, various people turned me this direction.  Although I love the bike, and it fits me well, I readily put on enough miles for it to need it's first service.  Now, when I bought the bike the salesperson told me that it would need to come back for a 600 mile service.  I thought that meant a few adjustments, checks, and an oil change.  I also thought that would be pretty much a freebie being that I just bought the bike.  I called my dealer up to schedule the service.  I was told that I would need to leave my bike for several days, and that they would be doing a valve adjustment and some other intricate things.  They told me that this would cost me $220.00.  O.K., not the end of the world, just a little sticker shock after just laying down the money that I did for the bike.  I wish they would of told me up front about this additional cost.  In a little while they will be here to pick it up.  At least I am glad that the next few days are supposed to be rainy....:>)
  • September 22, 2011 2:09 AM PDT
    Yeah, I feel your pain. But these "toys" are expensive and we need to take care of our investments. You'll be glad you did...
    • 1364 posts
    September 22, 2011 2:28 AM PDT
    StreetBobGirl wrote...
    Yeah, I feel your pain. But these "toys" are expensive and we need to take care of our investments. You'll be glad you did...

Stay regular with your services, Do you safety checks before your ride and you will get years of fun and pleasure. Not doing this is the fastest way to destroy your bike and get you into trouble of the road.

• September 22, 2011 3:09 AM PDT
    They sting a bit but like the others said well worth it in the long run. I got lucky a guy that was a harley tec at a local stealership for years got fed up and opened his own business still not cheap but quality work never is
    • 1516 posts
    September 22, 2011 3:12 AM PDT
    Money money money, as the song says!!
  • September 22, 2011 5:48 AM PDT
    I don't remember what that first service cost on my V-Star, but I do know it only took a day. I'd say if they are picking it up (and returning it I presume?) that $220 is not too bad really.

I'd be more upset about being without the bike for "several days" than how much it costs!
  • September 22, 2011 5:56 AM PDT
    Hey, Shadow Warrier, you're starting to learn. You did business with an official, authorized, OEM sales organization. Now the next step you'll take is finding a shop to do it for less, then, you'll look for a shop that'll actually do it and do it right and, unfortunately, at fair and competitive prices which are still a bit steep, finally you'll decide to do it yourself and that is the time you need to check out my profile. Hey, there are a few places like this all around America an all you need to know is how to spot them. Chk out mine and you'll know. Any way, no one could sympathize with you more than I can, don't rush things, learn everything step by step, and you'll be alright. 
    • 130 posts
    September 22, 2011 8:21 AM PDT
    Ahh... I bet it still has that new scooter smell. 
    The days of free helmet with purchase and free first service are gone the way of the buffalo. 
    Buy a service manual. Oil changes drop to about $30 when you do it yourself  and valve adjustments the cost of a wrench and screwdriver. Keep service log book
    In my town, people who don't do their own wrenching learn where the reliable independent shops are pretty quickly.

Ride safe.
    • 5420 posts
    September 22, 2011 5:10 PM PDT
    Hey Tony, Congrats on the new bike. Yeah service by a quality shop can be expensive, but like everyone above said - it will pay off in the long run if you keep your bike well maintained. If you have the ability and the place to do it most scheduled maint can be done at home to save you a bit. But even if you do need to take it in, it really isn't all that much in the scope of things.

Bottom line is enjoy the ride and take care of your bike and it will run forever!
    • 1780 posts
    September 22, 2011 11:56 PM PDT
    Tony once again I will have to agree with everyone above. I believe you have to take it back to the OEM dealer the first time to maintain your warrenty, but after that find yourself a good small shop to help you out, or do as much as you can on your own. The manuals now days are pretty much written with good pictures and in see spot run verbage.
    Best of Luck
    Be safe out there and enjoy your new scoot
    Night Dragon
  • September 23, 2011 1:42 AM PDT
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input :>) I am still learning, but I will look for a good shop once the warranty runs out. Right now I am using the Honda dealership from where I bought it from. As I talk to other bikers with newer bikes, I hear that they all went through the same thing. Now, I don't feel as bad.....although I will still miss my bike this weekend :>).
    • 1780 posts
    September 23, 2011 8:28 AM PDT
    ShadowWarrior you seem like a good stand up guy, and will make a great addition to the Cycle Fish Family, and trust me Sir it is just that....One big Family that will help you in any way possible.
    Welcome to the site Brother
    Night Dragon