Bloody good mates

• 0 posts
    September 20, 2011 9:18 AM PDT
    Gday All..As most of you know I spent a fair bit of last year messed up from a bad crash.I was sent for back to work rehab to a mates bike shop to help where I could.This time last year we lost a bloody good mate in a crash.Steve was a lunatic rode hard and partied even harder..This time he was doin everything right when a service truck pulled out in front of him killing him instantly( or we like to think it bloody did).Steves 09 night train was destroyed in the crash,even the barrels were smashed..At the funeral everyone started talking about a tribute to this bloody legend and his old"Steves" bike as possible..When the bike arrived on a pallet and we forked it into the shop we all shook our heads..As soon as it hit the ground I started dismantling it and ordering parts to atr least get it rolling sdo the family would have something to see..We ordered alot of part and gotr screwed over by a couple of shops in LA that just plain took the money aND didnt send shit..Another bloody good mate Garth who was really tight with Steve made it his mission to get the bike done.We could see the big fella was messed up and this was therapy for him so we let him work on the bike and knew it was his way of dealing witrh a really shit situation..Well yesterday was D day..We all grabbed a beer and stood around the night train..We raised our cans and Garth hit the starter button..The bike fired into life thundering through the new custom pipes.It then procceeded to blow the dipstick out and spray most of us with oil as someone(Garth) had over filled it with oil..We all looked at each other and knew Steve had played another bloody prank on us..Last nightr sittin watchin TV my phone rings and its Garth,he was drunk and happy kinda..He said brother I dont know what to do now I aint got the bike to build..The bike was his bond with Steve and he was feeling like when we deliver the bike to Steves family he was gonna lose a piece of his mate..I explained that the pride he had taken in building that bloody bike and knowing he had done a good job was all he needed to keep Steves legacy alive.We talked for over an hour and by the end the big fella was happy and "got it".When I got of the phone I thought shit we all really are bloody good mates..Im glad that I could be there for Garth and know that him or any of the other blokes who helped on the bike are now that little bit better mates after our "therapy" build..

CHEERS BOOF
    • 1364 posts
    September 20, 2011 9:52 AM PDT
    Very nice, Glad you guys did what you wanted to do for Steve, Good friends are hard to come by these days. Just another reminder that life is short.
    • 19067 posts
    September 20, 2011 10:02 AM PDT
    WOW, a great effort put out by Garth, you and all the others for a friend who has passed on. ATTA BOY! to all of you.
    And, although I knew there was a softer side to you I didn't expect to see it here. Now go wipe that oil off your face, Friend.
    • 9 posts
    September 20, 2011 10:03 AM PDT
    BOOF, It's a sad story. We've all lost loved one's or friends, and it just ain't the same without 'em. But remembering them with a tribute like this, well it'll heal ya'll, and it will help his family as well. And Garth, he's already healing, he just doesn't realize it quite yet. That dipstick thing? I firmly believe that your mate Steve had to get your attention, and let ya know, he's alright! Laughing his arse off, too!
    Ride Free
    Tweek
  • September 21, 2011 3:07 AM PDT
    thanks for sharing that boof. I would hope if the same happened to me my friends would do somthing like that yall are true friends.
  • September 21, 2011 5:03 AM PDT
    Thats whats friends are all about when we say for life we mean that and then some. We never forget Loved ones and Friends that have passed on because some day we will meet again. Cheers Boof
    • 846 posts
    September 21, 2011 6:26 AM PDT
    Thanks for sharing that story, The dipstick i'm sure was Steve's way of saying thanking to his true friend and helping Garth is what true mates do. Right? I'll salute you, Steve and Garthe with a little (figure of speech only) Jack D.
    • 580 posts
    September 21, 2011 9:39 AM PDT
    That's a great story Boof and you ALL did what you needed to honour your mate. I hope it helped you too because we all know you've had a tough time of it also. The dipstick sure was Steve's way of saying thanks but I still had to stick it to ya lol. Big hugs you guys - it's folk like you and Garth that make life worth while
    (o:
    • 3006 posts
    September 21, 2011 3:19 PM PDT
    Good post,my condolences to you & your mates on losing him to some ahole.Someday when your riding think of him, when you feel that buzz from traveling all thru you & your enjoying the ride,he will appreciate it !!
    stay safe n enjoy the ride