Better Helmets

• 40 posts
    October 16, 2012 12:41 AM PDT
    Which are the better helmets with slip-up full face shields and jaw guards? I use corrective glasses and can only use the half helmet or the full face shield ones. I need one that will protect my whole face. What do you recommend?( never will ride without a helmet)
  • October 16, 2012 3:04 AM PDT
    I Like my HJC CLMax II It is a modular but is quite comfortable. I wear large prescription glasses and I have no problem. Besides it is the only helmet except for my half helms that fit my 4x/5x melon. Doc
    • 1 posts
    October 16, 2012 3:06 AM PDT
    get a shoei...full face they are super comfy and lite weight...
    • 40 posts
    October 16, 2012 3:34 AM PDT
    Guys thanks I'll look them up on line so I can purchaes one. Now that the cooler weather is coming , I'll be needing all the protection I can get. Thanks again and ride safe, brothers.
    • 2 posts
    October 16, 2012 11:22 AM PDT
    When you are as pretty as I am you owe it to the public to wear a full face helmet, am sure somebody feels that way about you.

After a lot of internet research selected a HJC, CL-SP.
    - Snell & DOT
    - Pretty quiet
    - Very good ventilation
    - Hi visibility color
    - and, oh yeh, low cost

Then the bast'ds stopped making it.
    Replacement not Snell & has dorky graphics - Only Shony makes a plain yellow helmet but it is 3X what I want to pay.

Advice from an old man - Go to a shop specializing in helmets and let them fit you. - It is your head, don't compromise it w. a 1/2 a'd fit to save $5-$10.
    In my case they put a 2X liner in a XL helmet for a snug, not tight fit.
  • October 16, 2012 12:14 PM PDT
    great advice 99! it is your head...never comprimise! i wont ride without my lid on..cool or not. I was a clinical chaplain in a head trama unit. seen toooo much that could have been prevented. ride safe.
    • 1 posts
    October 16, 2012 1:06 PM PDT
    yeah I agree with hi vis matt black....you can always put a dorky silver or yellow stripe on it...so the losers in cages behind you have something more to aim at...this is not a personal attack on me mate 99...but he does look like a banana....I am not a fan of yellow as the power that be down under are tailering for us to wear hi vis vests whilst riding..cages don't see us with headlights on...now..a hi vis vest won't make us stand out any better...like I say just paint a target in red on our backs, as an aiming point. good luck with your lid hunting!
  • October 23, 2012 12:13 AM PDT
    Glad to hear several do wear em!!! we always ride with ours, Hubby's is a Fulmer - Dot - he likes it a lot, and he wears glasses, says the face shield does provide some kind of rainbow effect with his glasses though. might want to check out one or two. mine is a symax - it is comfortable, and all but I sure would love to have one of the new ones that are much lighter!!! I do love that lift up chin guard though, it is easier to get on and off, with or without glasses. also good protection from wind, rain, HAIL< and heat or cold!

most important.... ride safe!
    • 40 posts
    October 23, 2012 1:26 AM PDT
    Thanks Sue for your input. Now I have several chioces to pick from and can base myself on what bikers use instead of what salespersons recommend or what is cheaper to buy. Thanks again.
    • 1161 posts
    October 23, 2012 4:49 PM PDT
    Ya I use a full face helmet as well and since I crashed my bike and busted my old helmet I'm still looking at a modular helmet. Because I also have glasses, but I like the safety of the full face helms with the in helmet head sets for communicating to other riders in the group if needed.
  • October 28, 2012 3:57 PM PDT
    Glad to help out. both of ours has headsets, so we can talk to each other as well as our friends riding with us, via cb - in my "trip " photos you can kind of see what ours looks like, I have one pic with us wearing em. We wore it in the hottest part of summer and had no problems they have good ventilation. But we also ride alot in the winter, and they do keep your head warmer too as the wind cant get through. Hope you can find a good one!!
  • October 28, 2012 4:26 PM PDT
    It all comes down to personal choice and needs. If you ride behind a big windshield you may need the modular. However, I've noticed that most of those don't meet Snell requirements. I use a full face and like Bell due to reduced wind noise. I read where they developed a shield for their full face helmets that transitions from clear in low light, to shaded in the sun light. I wear a full face and both the HJC and Bell lines allow me to use thick sunglasses with them.
    • 2 posts
    October 29, 2012 4:45 AM PDT
     Interesting, Snell not worth what I thought it was

http://www.motorcycle.com/buyers-guide/buyers-guide-to-motorcycle-helmets-33366.html />