Is it ever too late in life for a ride?

• 79 posts
    April 23, 2012 8:55 AM PDT

How old is too old for a ride?

• April 23, 2012 8:59 AM PDT
    I hope it never becomes too late in life to ride. I have family, well into thier 60's and 70's, and quite a few still ride, although, most dont ride thier harleys anymore.
    • 79 posts
    April 23, 2012 9:05 AM PDT
    I feel if and when I can't ride, just take me where I stand. Because there's nothing left but cheerios and heartburn.
  • April 23, 2012 9:12 AM PDT
    I am working on a new project right now, its going to be a wheelchair...lol...I will add photo's here when its done ...lol... Wait until you see how its powered!!!!!

When I cant get on 2 or 3 wheels anymore I will still have the wheelchair (wait til you see the pics...lol...)
    • 79 posts
    April 23, 2012 9:14 AM PDT
    Jetman wrote...
    I am working on a new project right now, its going to be a wheelchair...lol...I will add photo's here when its done ...lol... Wait until you see how its powered!!!!!

When I cant get on 2 or 3 wheels anymore I will still have the wheelchair (wait til you see the pics...lol...)

Jetman I can only imagine what you come up with.lol Please do post some pix!! I would love to see it!
  • April 23, 2012 9:35 AM PDT
    Project has been in the pipeline since I got all busted up in 2001...

Oh Yeah...there will be pictures...lol...
    • 79 posts
    April 23, 2012 10:07 AM PDT
    Bring it!
  • April 23, 2012 2:26 PM PDT
    I know this isn't one of those "serious" topics, and I apologize if this sounds silly, but the subject line of this thread brought back some bittersweet memories for me. Back in 2009, I'd ridden down to my hometown to visit my folks over Labor Day weekend. It's about a five hour ride or drive, so I didn't get down there as often as I would have liked. Dad was a Harley rider from way back, and I've got some nice photos of him riding his old Hydraglide.

So that Labor Day morning, we were all in the back and Dad was giving my bike a good looking over. I asked him if he wanted sit in the saddle for old time's sake (I wanted a photo of him on my bike). He said he didn't think he could manage it now, but ten years ago he would have. So I settled for a shot of him leaning into the saddle... it was a beautiful sunny morning and he had the biggest smile on his face. But four months later, he was gone - his prostate cancer had returned and gotten into his bones (like it often does), and he passed away in early January. So the last really good memory I have of him is him half-sitting on my old bike, smiling in the September sun.

I'm content with that memory of him, but I think unfortunately sometimes it *is* too late for a ride...
    • 823 posts
    April 23, 2012 2:57 PM PDT
    BikerOptix wrote...

Never to late, just tell her to get on top!! lol!!
  • April 23, 2012 4:00 PM PDT
    Occasionally, I see an old guy on a HD with ape hangers with a ZZ Top beard and long mustache. He can still balance it and keep it on two wheels, so I say go for it as long as you can. Heck, now they make 250's. When I'm to old to hold the bigger bikes up, I'll either trike or get a lil sport looking 250. I know the wife will be so proud :-)
  • April 24, 2012 12:19 AM PDT
    I agree you should ride as long as you can ride. I am hoping to be abel to pass my bike down to one of my children. If I get to the point where I cant ride a regular bike then I would go for a nice trike. Or I could just stand in the moon roof with a pair of handel bars and fake it.
    • 9 posts
    April 24, 2012 12:48 AM PDT
    Wolfpack...I just wanna say condolences for your Dad. I miss mine, too. He taught me my love for all things motorized, from a very young age. Didn't matter, I was a girl. (I think he had wanted another boy so bad, but had to be content with me). He even called me "Butch". He just wanted another lil' buddy. So I accommodated him.
    I grew up with go-carts and mini-bikes, graduated to dirt bikes, and mastered in Harley's. And he taught me the mechanics, too. I grew up loving to wrench on everything. So cool, turning a wrench, and making things run.
    Nothing like the feel of a wrench. (Well, maybe except for guns, but that's another "Dad" story...lol)
    But then I had to watch as his love for all that starting ebbing, and then finally going away. Sad.
    And I wonder now, when it will be over for me. He died when he was only 54. I'll be 53 in July.
    That's why gettin' back in the saddle soon, is makin' me crazy. I feel like if I don't do it soon, I may never
    get another chance. And like BikerOptix said..."it's nothin' but cheerios and heartburn, then"...
    F**K THAT! (Sorry Lord)

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 0 posts
    April 24, 2012 12:56 AM PDT
    I'm sure not young anymore, but I think that makes ya all the more eager to try new things, I'm looking forward to my first bike & bike license this summer, bye-bye biotch pad! Lookout world, this granny is gonna start living, Hehehe
  • April 24, 2012 1:04 AM PDT
    I hope its NEVER too late!! I've always said that before you pull the plug on me, lean over and ask me 2 things: Wanna ride? & want some ice cream? If you get nothing from me, go on an pull it!

Sorry to hear about your Dad Wolfpack, hang on to the good memories! He's ridin free now!

There was a guy in Southern IL that modified his bike so that he could pull his wheelchair in to it and ride! Very cool site to see him goin down the road!!
  • April 24, 2012 2:44 AM PDT
    wolfpack wrote...
    I know this isn't one of those "serious" topics, and I apologize if this sounds silly, but the subject line of this thread brought back some bittersweet memories for me. Back in 2009, I'd ridden down to my hometown to visit my folks over Labor Day weekend. It's about a five hour ride or drive, so I didn't get down there as often as I would have liked. Dad was a Harley rider from way back, and I've got some nice photos of him riding his old Hydraglide.

So that Labor Day morning, we were all in the back and Dad was giving my bike a good looking over. I asked him if he wanted sit in the saddle for old time's sake (I wanted a photo of him on my bike). He said he didn't think he could manage it now, but ten years ago he would have. So I settled for a shot of him leaning into the saddle... it was a beautiful sunny morning and he had the biggest smile on his face. But four months later, he was gone - his prostate cancer had returned and gotten into his bones (like it often does), and he passed away in early January. So the last really good memory I have of him is him half-sitting on my old bike, smiling in the September sun.

I'm content with that memory of him, but I think unfortunately sometimes it *is* too late for a ride...

I think it would be an excellent idea to put either a pic of him on his own bikes from way back - or - the pic you described into the "Bike Of The Month" Message...You would sure get my vote!!!  I want to see that tell tale grin on his face that says "Been There and Done That" .....
  • April 24, 2012 3:14 AM PDT
    mine too, i know the occ guys made a bike that fit a wheelchair. it was really cool. reminded me of the very first two wheeler. the chairiot.
    • 79 posts
    April 24, 2012 3:17 AM PDT
    wolfpack wrote...

That was a great story and thank you for sharing. I'm glad you could spark up a memory on this thread. Good ones that is.

• 79 posts
    April 24, 2012 3:21 AM PDT
    Guero wrote...
    BikerOptix wrote...

hahaha didn't even think about that.lmao
    • 79 posts
    April 24, 2012 3:22 AM PDT
    woosterbiker wrote...
    I agree you should ride as long as you can ride. I am hoping to be abel to pass my bike down to one of my children. If I get to the point where I cant ride a regular bike then I would go for a nice trike. Or I could just stand in the moon roof with a pair of handel bars and fake it.

FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT...lol
    • 79 posts
    April 24, 2012 3:24 AM PDT
    Jetman wrote...
    wolfpack wrote...

I think it would be an excellent idea to put either a pic of him on his own bikes from way back - or - the pic you described into the "Bike Of The Month" Message...You would sure get my vote!!!  I want to see that tell tale grin on his face that says "Been There and Done That" .....

I AGREE!!
  • April 24, 2012 3:33 AM PDT
    BikerOptix wrote...
    Guero wrote...
    BikerOptix wrote...

hahaha didn't even think about that.lmao

OMG I missed this completely!!  Guero!!  NO wonder you have a 3 year old!!  I see where your mind goes!!  

• 2 posts
    April 25, 2012 12:23 PM PDT
     It's HD new target demographic
    • 1 posts
    April 25, 2012 2:27 PM PDT
    alot of people wait their entire life before getting on a bike. Life's bucket list..then invaribly something goes wrong the very day they finally succumb. More than once down here, ageing moms Grandmas finally pluck up the courage to get on the back of a bike and go blasting through the country side..then a horror crash ensues..and they wind up dead. It's happened on 5 occasions now...that I can bring to mind...why wait till you're one foot in the grave...get out there now......
    • 1855 posts
    April 25, 2012 2:39 PM PDT
    O.K. Just got back from a 3K mile trip and at 64 years young, it does take it's toll. But I'm one stubborn bas$$rd

Peace
  • April 28, 2012 12:22 AM PDT
    BikerOptix wrote...
    wolfpack wrote...

That was a great story and thank you for sharing. I'm glad you could spark up a memory on this thread. Good ones that is.

And thank you, too, for the great topic!  It really is a good memory.  And it's the way I want to remember him, not laying in a hospital bed.  And thanks to Tweak and Paula as well for the condolences - this truly *is* a good group of people.

Jetman - I think I might just post one of those pictures next month.  I've heard some stories about Dad back in his younger/wilder days... him and his friends riding their bikes into bars through the front doors, stuff like that.  It's fun to think of him like that, too, because he was pretty buttoned-down as a parent