Half Mast?

• 1855 posts
    February 18, 2012 1:18 AM PST
    I'm sorry but I simply cannot find any justification to fly the American Flag at half mast in honor of or remebrance of Whitney Houston.  It's damn disgraceful and insult to every service armed sevice member.  She was a singer.  That's all.  She wasn't a hero or outwardly patriotic.  She wasn't an inspiration to the youth of this country.  For God's sake man!!!!!!!  What the hell are people thinking about this drunken doper anyway?
    • 9 posts
    February 18, 2012 2:03 AM PST
    As much as I loved her voice. As much as I understood her tribulations, and her "trying" to get right with God, as much as I feel for her family and friends, I, too, find it perplexing. I hadn't heard, about this until this morning, but
    I think it IS insulting to many other Americans, for many reasons. If being loved is the only criteria for having this honor bestowed, then that flag should never again be raised to it's full splendor. People die everyday, who have touched lives in one way or another. A national moment of silence, (where one can choose to participate or not), would have been more appropriate. My opinion, feel free to take it or leave it, eh?

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 638 posts
    February 18, 2012 2:41 AM PST
    She was a F***ing glorified crackhead with a good voice. Raise that flag back where it belongs or at least do it for someone more deserving
  • February 18, 2012 2:51 AM PST
    My flag will remain at the top of the pole...Enough said.
  • February 18, 2012 2:53 AM PST
    Got to agree here.

I do think its ok that the flag be flown at half-staff for non-government or military on a local level to honor a son or daughter of a state who had a real impact or was a proud role model of the state and made a difference.  Which is why the Governors U.S. states or territories are authorized by federal law to order all U.S. and state flags in their jurisdiction flown at half-staff as a mark of respect for a state official or resident who has died. Since a governor's executive order affects only his or her state, not the entire country, these orders are distinguished from presidential proclamations.

As a school teacher (retired) I cannot believe that anyone would consider her a role model for our youth and cannot find any great contributions she made to her native state of NJ.  It's not a popularity thing for gods sake, its an honor.  Otherwise we would have flown the flag at half mast for Al Capone... he was popular too.

• February 18, 2012 2:57 AM PST
    By the way, for those who may not know this was only Gov. Christie of NJ deciding to have the flags in NJ (Houston's native state) flown at half-staff. This was not supported by the fed government or any other state.
  • February 18, 2012 3:05 AM PST
    I havn't stopped sputtering about this since early this week. I commented on the number of Troops killed since Jan 1 and don't think Christie has flown the flag half staff for any one of these Heros. Wake up and give credit where credit is due every State in the Union.
    • 1780 posts
    February 18, 2012 3:07 AM PST
    I'm with you all on this one. The act of lowering the flag in this case negates the true meaning of what lowering it to half mast stood for in the first place! If this turns into a presedence for the way our flag will be utilized in the end .......then I want it lowered when the Dragons Fire is out...because I just this morning helped a little old Lady across the street, and neither one of us was on drugs!
    • 130 posts
    February 18, 2012 3:50 AM PST
    I figure it was a political move. It would have just been a matter of time till some hood rat accused the Governor of racism.
    • 2 posts
    February 18, 2012 4:05 AM PST
    Come on, she was the only thing that NJ produced in the last 40 years that actually was a success. - Cut them a break
    • 19067 posts
    February 18, 2012 4:31 AM PST
    I think ya called it right fiddlemike. One more reason I put politicians at the same level as whale shit.
    • 5420 posts
    February 18, 2012 4:35 AM PST
    Yep, seemed like the popular thing to do at the time, and he figured he had the right to do it...

BUT

Just because one has the right to do something, doesn't make it right to do.
    • 5420 posts
    February 18, 2012 4:36 AM PST
    99Savage wrote...
    Come on, she was the only thing that NJ produced in the last 40 years that actually was a success. - Cut them a break

Glad you said in the last 40 years, cause I'm from NJ - a little over 40 years ago though

• 1161 posts
    February 18, 2012 10:12 AM PST
    I did not hear about such crap. But ours remained in the up position even all around town never saw one at half mast.

To me she had a great voice at a point in her life but the last years she had distroyed her voice from smoking crack, and what ever she used legally or illegally. I agree she was just another crack head that tossed her life away due to addictions.

Sad to lose what use to be a beautiful voice, but it has been gone for years. As for lowering my flag. Not going to happen.
  • February 18, 2012 4:15 PM PST
    I wish the people that serve our country would get as much recognition. Not only our service men & women but all of our police, fire & others that keep our lives safe & enable us to go out & ride & enjoy ourselves.

• February 18, 2012 11:22 PM PST
    Why would we fly at half mast, shrugs shoulders the woman sang some songs made some money, had a f'd up life, she was an entertainer not an American Hero, she just sang. Unless of course she's the hero of Jerry Springer and his fans for that was what her private life was really like, so yeah she's a hero to foreclosed home owners why cause multi million dollar aires she gets a home foreclosed on, meth and coke heads cause ya don't have to be homeless while on drugs, the stupid bitch award cause ya allow your husband to run around then get in to brawls with the other woman, you allow your man to beat the crap out of you and begg him to stay, the abusers of children cause you'd rather do a line than read a story to a kid, and yes you still get to keep your fame status, and try to recapture your fans by following the soul searching the Beatles did, yep she's some kind of hero Jerry Springer still, yeah! WTF I'm more the hero any day of the week, will you fly for me half mast? have a great one! "T"
  • February 18, 2012 11:25 PM PST
    style
  • February 18, 2012 11:26 PM PST
    and I'm from New Jersey to, the Pinelands, when there was elbow room and manors
    • 1 posts
    February 19, 2012 2:47 AM PST
    Here is a website about the Flag Code. Scroll down to Para 7 section "M". Flag at half staff. I am getting sick tired of people of position misinterpreting the Flag Code of our great nation and doing whatever they dam well please.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

• 19067 posts
    February 19, 2012 4:43 AM PST
    Steven wrote...
    Here is a website about the Flag Code. Scroll down to Para 7 section "M". Flag at half staff. I am getting sick tired of people of position misinterpreting the Flag Code of our great nation and doing whatever they dam well please.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm
    Steven I could not agree with you more. I pisses me off too! I didn't read anything about celebrities. Hmmm? And thanks for the great link. I had it before but lost it.

The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from any State, territory, or possession who dies while serving on active duty, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff, and the same authority is provided to the Mayor of the District of Columbia with respect to present or former officials of the District of Columbia and members of the Armed Forces from the District of Columbia. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection —

• 1161 posts
    February 19, 2012 5:25 AM PST
    Well done Steven!
    • 823 posts
    February 19, 2012 2:28 PM PST
    The stupidity in this country never ceases to amaze me...........  I remember when a flag flown half staff meant something.  Now it's a weekly thing.........
  • February 19, 2012 2:43 PM PST
    I understand where everybody is coming from. As a pastor I have to be careful on issues like this in order to reach out to people with differing viewpoints. I can't imagine lowering the flags in this situation, but I can't burn bridges to reach out to those who got all carried away with all of this.
    In the end, a very talented Christian lady, who also had a lot of problems in her life passed away. A lot of us want to be good people, but we still struggle with various things. What can you and I do to help them them have a better life?
    • 1 posts
    February 21, 2012 10:23 AM PST
    The Flag at Half Staff. (Short Version) This is what I believe to be the reason for the flag being flown at half staff. We have a Declaration of Independence whom God has given us our rights; being that we are all created equal an all. Then we have our Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights which are protected by our government. Protected by the people we vote in to public office, by volunteers of our great military. These great citziens took an oath to defend and protect the Constitution of the United States. To defend our Constitution with their own life if need be. Now, if you believe our Flag is a living thing, as I do. Meaning that our Flag is an living embodment of us, the people. Then, when our Flag is lowered to half staff we are saying to our Nation and to our God that we are in great thanks and graditude in that you have given us such a great hero, a defender of the rights you have given us. I hope this makes sense. No don't get me wrong, all Americans has the responsiblity to defend and protect our Constitution. Do not let a day go by and allow your rights be denied or trampled on. You can start defending your rights by VOTING, so please register to VOTE and get informed before you cast your VOTE. Please don't let the last 27 years of my life and other VETS defending your right to VOTE go to waste. Freedom and Libertys are not Free; Protect them.

Sorry for the rant and one other thing.

Far as Whitney Houston whom is deceased and whom I prayed for; I will not speak ill of her or any deceased person, for they are not able to defend themselves. I pray that she is with the lord and that she may rest in peace.
    • 1780 posts
    February 21, 2012 10:45 AM PST
    Steven you put it out there on the table, and you said it well with feeling and honor.
    Dragon