Ice Bear gottem question

• November 18, 2011 9:19 PM PST
    I have a set of 14" burly apes for my yamaha vstarr 1100 classic...I know I need to change the length of my clutch/brake cables so I'm wondering if I took it to the shop to have them do the installation bout what the cost would be...I  do most of my own on work Dixie but this is n area I'm a little short on knowledge...

Any guesses?
    Ice Bear...

PS..It's 0325 in Portland Or. it's chilly n raining n I can't seep to get my sleep on...AGAIN...
    • 1780 posts
    November 18, 2011 11:06 PM PST
    This is just a shot in the dark, but I believe most shops charge about $70 and hour and that probably would be about a 2 hour job. Just my guess
    Dragon
  • November 18, 2011 11:08 PM PST
     ....if its a Yamaha Shop they should be in line with most others. But if you live in some remote area like we do, they may amp their prices up. You are correct on the cables not being too hard to install, and altough Ive not done that mod myself, Ive seen where folks on other boards have done it with little or no angst. Predicting what any given "stealer" will charge for labor is unpredictable, try calling them to get a quote on labor. I do most of my own work on my own Valkand have a few friends I ride with, who own Valks who can lend a hand. Try posting this down in the "Metric Section" on this site and someone may be able to give you an Idea.

.............Good Luck ! .. 
  • November 19, 2011 1:38 AM PST
    NightDragon wrote...
    This is just a shot in the dark, but I believe most shops charge about $70 and hour and that probably would be about a 2 hour job. Just my guess
    Dragon

Thanks Dragon...Actually I havent been able to get a price on cables The average hourley rate in oregon is rpond $85...so guess I better get over to the shop n ask eh? I won't order parts on line cept tires n shit..
    Ice Bear...

• 2072 posts
    November 19, 2011 2:17 AM PST
    Being a poor white boy growing up I learned real quick how to do my own repairs / mods on my vehicles. The whole key to working on something is pay close attention to how it comes apart and the reassembly is a lot easier. That being said, cables, wiring and hoses are a piece of cake. Just do one at a time. The satisfaction comes at the end when you can stand back and say I did it myself !!!!!
    • 5420 posts
    November 19, 2011 2:18 AM PST
    Its a pretty standard job that I am sure most shops do all the time so they should be able to give you a pretty accurate over the phone.

I did my own when I change my bars and it took me about 3 hours total, but I was learning as I went.
    • 1780 posts
    November 19, 2011 3:10 AM PST
    One more thing to consider......do you want to drill your Bars and run the electrical wiring inside or be easer and run them outside the bars?
    • 16870 posts
    November 19, 2011 3:10 AM PST
    When ever I need a cable for any reason on a bike I get Barnett http://www.barnettclutches.com/ to make one up for me and I do the labor.