Motorcycle Wish List

• 2 posts
    October 20, 2011 10:33 AM PDT
     Over the years I've owned a few bikes. About 10 in all. I currently have four.

A 1981 Yamaha Seca 650 (my first bike) which I converted to a cafe racer in the mid 90's and still ride from time to time. That bike is alot of fun in the twisties.

A 1985 Honda Shadow 1100 (my first wrencher) which has been  modified for drag racing. It used to see fairly regular time at the track but, not in recent years. I still have it mainly for sentimental reasons.

A 1998  FLHRC Harley Davidson whch is my long range bike

And finally a 2010 Harley Davidson Street Bob, my daily rider.

Over the years others have come and gone but there always remains the never ending wish list. So, just for fun I figured I would list my top 5 wish list and why. I would like to hear everyone else's Top 5 as well. It should be interesting. So, here it goes;

StBobber's Top 5 Wish List

1) 1948 Harley Davidson Panhead - I just love this bike. Everything about it. Springer front end. Aluminum Cylinders and heads (way before it was common) solo seat. What a great bike.

2) 2012 Motus MST-R - the first true american sport tourer with a bad ass V-4 engine. I haven't ridden one. I haven't even seen one in person. I have no idea what it costs or how it performs. It's not even on the market yet. I don't care. I WANT IT!!!

www.motusmotorcycles.com/mst-01.html />
    3) 1984 Harley Davidson Sportster XR-1000 - a production sportster based on the XR-750 competition bike (made famous by Evil Knevil). This bike is unique to Harley with a dual carburator system and an eccentic valve adjusment system that allows not only mixture to be adjusted but allows the valves to be adjusted without removing the heads. Great stuff!

www.youtube.com/watch />
    4) 1939 Indian Four - Just too cool. A four cylinder production motorcycle from 1939? Who wouldn't fall in love? It's mighty good looking too!

www.vintagebike.co.uk/pictures/indian-four-1939/ />
    5) 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 - This is one bad ass mo fo. Why mess around with a standard 180 degree interval, inline four when you can flip the script and make it 90 degree interval and get all that tourque to the pavement. This is a killer super bike that's sounds as mean as it looks.
    www.youtube.com/watch /> I guess this is my only non-domestic bike but, that wasn't because there aren't great ones out there. I'll have to make this list longer.

Can wait see what everyone else has wants!

• October 20, 2011 10:55 AM PDT

• October 20, 2011 10:59 AM PDT

• 2 posts
    October 20, 2011 5:02 PM PDT
    Very nice!
    • 130 posts
    October 20, 2011 6:44 PM PDT
     The Ariel Square Four has to be one of the most beautiful machines I've seen and it's unusual enough that I'd like to see it in my shed.
    Honda ST 1100 because it looks like a fun way to travel
    GL1100 Gold Wing (1982)  I owned one and loved it.
    I like the Kawaski VN800 Vulcan. It's stylish and quick for a V Twin.

And I'd like to own a side car.

1958 Ariel Square Four

• October 21, 2011 2:33 AM PDT
     ....Saw this at a local Bike Night a few years back...guy said it was worth more then his house..lol

....cool thing is...he rode it there...said he had to do a little "work" on it when he first got it.....1940 Indian....love the suicide shift.....he started it up for us....very cool..

• October 21, 2011 4:52 AM PDT
    Twolf...That there is wicked cool. Thanks for putting that up.

jb
    • 567 posts
    October 21, 2011 4:52 AM PDT
    http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/index.php?submenu=Chief_Vintage&src=gendocs&ref=Chief%20Vintage%20Features&category=Motorcycles />
    New technology. Old style looks. I just think the Indian bikes are great looking machines.
  • October 21, 2011 5:00 AM PDT
    I would love to own another 1982 yamaha seca 400 in red. It was my first street bike. I have also always liked the look of the older 60s and 70s Bmw's.
    • 846 posts
    October 21, 2011 5:22 AM PDT
    My wish list is as follows
    1.     1936 Harley Davidson Knucklehead. To me one of the sexist engines Harley ever produced.
    2.     Norton John Player Special. Just like the look of it when it came out.
    3.     Harley Davidson SLCR 1000 Café Racer again I just like the look of it at the time.
    4.     Indian Scout 101 another classic of it time.
    5.     This is a build that I hope to get to some day. A Bobber style, with a softtail frame, an Knucklehead motor, springer front end and min-apes. No picture but in my mind.

• 2 posts
    October 21, 2011 9:17 AM PDT
    Chaz, great choices! That '28 Scout would definately make my top ten list.
    • 2 posts
    October 21, 2011 9:25 AM PDT
    SolarBill, I'm a big fan of the styling of those new Indian models. I think my favorite was the "Bomber" they had out for 2010 or 2011 (forget which). The only drawback I see with them is the company has changed hands several times. The last owned was Indian Motor Limited which used an S&S engine (105, I think) and the company (name at least) was sold to Polaris recently. There has been some rumors going around that they will be switching to a Victory engine or possibly producing an "Indian" version of a Victory. I have no idea if these rumors hold any weight, but I would certainly be wary of shelling out 30k + for a bike from a company that has changed hands so frequently. They are real pretty though.
    • 2 posts
    October 21, 2011 9:27 AM PDT
    Timbrwolf, Man I love to see bikes like that on the road. It's so much nicer to hear and see a running machine then to see it in a museum.
    • 2 posts
    October 21, 2011 9:31 AM PDT
    Wheels, I love my Seca. I converted it to a cafe racer, but I still own all the original parts so, I could switch it back to original without too much effort. For now though, I'll leave it as is.
    • 2 posts
    October 21, 2011 10:26 AM PDT
    Yeh, sure, why not! - Harmless since all rides save my 1st & last were procured from the "Penny Saver"

#1 thu 5
    Vincent, Vincent "Black Shadow" if available, but any one will do.
    Just plain 'MOTORCYCLE" . . . wheels . . . engine . . . seat . . . bars. Really well engineered & well executed. Held the LSR for production motorcycles for something like 20 years & took a factory team to beat it.
    Saw precisely one, back in the late 1950's
    http://classic-car-history.com/vincent-black-shadow.htm /> http://www.classic-british-motorcycles.com/vincent-motorcycles.html />
    #6 Henderson
    Great example of American excess, why use 2 cylinders when 4 are available?
    Saw precisely one of these too - but got to see it a lot - An old GENTLEMAN, in the neighborhood had one. When he rode it wore shooting jacket, jodhpurs, knee-hi riding boots, shirt with collar & cap.  - Saw it a lot circa 1957 - 1961 - Knowing him helped direct me to being an engineer & doing my best to be a gentleman.
    http://www.hendersonmotorcycle.com/Contents.htm /> http://www.hendersonmotorcycle.com/History%201911.htm />
    #7 Borough-Superior
    Just plain MORORCYCLE but for gentlemen only
    Now being recreated, mostly to old prints but with the best of modern manufacturing
    http://www.luxury-insider.com/luxury-news/2010/04/glorious-brough-superior-being-resurrected /> http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2010/05/26/the-legendary-brough-superior-motorcycles/ />
    • 567 posts
    October 21, 2011 2:39 PM PDT
    StBobber wrote...
    SolarBill, I'm a big fan of the styling of those new Indian models. I think my favorite was the "Bomber" they had out for 2010 or 2011 (forget which). The only drawback I see with them is the company has changed hands several times. The last owned was Indian Motor Limited which used an S&S engine (105, I think) and the company (name at least) was sold to Polaris recently. There has been some rumors going around that they will be switching to a Victory engine or possibly producing an "Indian" version of a Victory. I have no idea if these rumors hold any weight, but I would certainly be wary of shelling out 30k + for a bike from a company that has changed hands so frequently. They are real pretty though.
      Yes. I know that Polaris has purchased Indian and I'm sure that at some point they will be infusing THEIR mark on the bike. But even IF they did things like use a Victory powerplant, it would still be have to be a great bike or they'd lose all of Indian's followers.
    And, I agree with you. The Bomber was a great looking bike. Great graphics.

• 2 posts
    October 21, 2011 5:07 PM PDT
    SolarBill, I hope they keep it a separate company if for no other reason ten to allow for more development rather than just a model or two in the Victory line. It would be really cool to see them develop a 42 degree V Twin power plant and help separate it further from the harley type 45. That would be too cool.