Hope All Our Friends on the East Coast are Safe

• 5420 posts
    August 27, 2011 12:28 PM PDT
    Just listening to the first reports of hurricane Irene moving through the North Carolina Coast and then continuing up the east coast.

We certainly hope that all of our friends remain safe and suffer no loss.

After living 20-some years in Florida  - through a couple of big hurricanes - my advice to any of you in its projected path is GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE.  There is nothing you can do by staying there except put your self in danger!  There is no way you can do anything to protect your house or belongings by staying there, and none of it is worth risking your life for anyway.

Best of luck, we are praying for your safety!!!

• 1516 posts
    August 27, 2011 12:37 PM PDT
    All or best to everyone affected. Please stay safe
    • 9 posts
    August 27, 2011 1:57 PM PDT
    I've lived here in Florida, off and on for 20 years, but in that short time, I've had two very close calls. Andrew, when my son was 8 months old. I had the car packed and ready to go, when they said to stand down, the storm would hit more than 80 miles south of us at the time. Still scary tho. And then in 2004, a string of 4 storms, one right after the other, from August thru September had even the storm forecasters saying, we had a neon "kick me" sign on the state. My son was barely a teenager, and he thought it was all very "cool". I was scared. Really scared, as we did not have a vehicle in which to evacuate, had the order been given. Much like the people in the Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans, we HAD to ride it all out. The kicker is, I still live close to the beach, and I do enjoy watching Jacksonville actually having surfable waves, but not at someone else's expense. I will be praying for all those affected by Irene, and would ask that you do the same. And if you ain't a believer, than donate a couple bucks to the American Red Cross, there gonna need it.
    Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 3006 posts
    August 28, 2011 5:44 AM PDT
    Just wanted to add my thoughts/words to others,stay safe out there & get the heck outta harms way if possible !!!
    • 567 posts
    August 28, 2011 11:08 AM PDT
    In 2004, we had THREE hurricanes go right thru our county here in Central Florida. They are nothing to poo poo. I hope everyone comes thru safely.
    And, Tweek's post about the Red Cross is a good one. Y'all check it out.
    • 5420 posts
    August 28, 2011 11:17 AM PDT
    Yep Tweek, very good point about the Red Cross, they will once again be strapped for money and resources!

Now would be a good time to think about how you can help this great organization. I know for many money is kind of tight right now, but if you can afford to give, do so... If you can't donate monetarily think about going down to your local Red Cross and donating blood.

There are also the "Ride for the Red" fundraiser rides that go on at many of the local Red Cross chapters throughout the country. Many have already gone by in the spring and early summer, but there are a few left, so check the calendar.

Last night after watching the news I got up and found as many as I could and added them to the calendar. I also gave a FREE banner to every Red Cross event in the calendar so they would stand out.
    • 844 posts
    August 28, 2011 11:32 AM PDT
    You're a good man Lucky. Sure you're not from Texas !!!!
    • 19067 posts
    August 28, 2011 1:31 PM PDT
    Thankfully all of my family and friends are unharmed.