I'm ready to go hunting

• 1780 posts
    August 26, 2011 2:22 AM PDT
    I wish this heat will go away, and the snakes can go to sleep, and I can get some Hog hunting done.

• 1364 posts
    August 26, 2011 2:23 AM PDT
    Lookin Good my friend
    • 5420 posts
    August 26, 2011 2:41 AM PDT
    Lets us know when that happens so we can head down for the BBQ!!!!
    • 19067 posts
    August 26, 2011 2:45 AM PDT
    Yeah, what Lucky Said!
    • 2 posts
    August 26, 2011 12:09 PM PDT
    Starting to get a few feral hogs in NY - Bad news for the farmers but good news for me.

* No longer like hunting the gentle deer but a snorting hog is another story.
    +
    * Could be a great excuse to get another dog

Yea for the hogs.
    • 1161 posts
    August 26, 2011 12:47 PM PDT
    It looks good ND! Good luck! and I agree what Lucky and Rex said!
    • 2072 posts
    August 26, 2011 1:02 PM PDT
    Kenny....... Bet you could do some GOOD huntin' along our southern boarders !!!!!!!!
    • 1780 posts
    August 27, 2011 12:54 AM PDT
    I've hunted deer, but like 99 Savage I perfer Hogs just because those little shits can become quite agressive if wonded, and it just drives the adrenilen (probably misspelled) level way up there. First part of this year I was hunting with a 300 Ultra Win Mag. At the range that sucker kickes like an Army Mule and loud as hell. Funny when I sight up on a Hog and pull the trigger I never hear the shot or feel the kick.
    FYI about Hogs...They never look up. I was in a tree and about 25 walked up right under me, just standing around like have a beer stop. They do have a very good ability to smell you out if you are up wind from them.
    Dragon
    • 1780 posts
    August 27, 2011 1:14 AM PDT
    The Hog problem is so bad in Texas this is how the rich hunt them. The Farmers just hate the hogs because you just can't believe how they can tear up a field.
    Check it out
    Dragon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE
    • 9 posts
    August 27, 2011 3:19 AM PDT
    Man, I'll make the baked beans and corn bread! And I'll bring the Sweet Baby Ray's barbeque sauce, and toothpicks....now we're talkin'!!! Ok, that's just not fair...NOW I'm hungry for HOG!
  • August 30, 2011 2:48 PM PDT
    Classic Hogbane...

• 0 posts
    August 30, 2011 3:12 PM PDT
    Dragon old mate down here we do it a bit different..We hunt with dogs and run the bastards down ..When the dogs ear and tail the pig ya run in quick and stick the bastard with a knife right behind the shoulder blade..Some of them get pretty bloody big up this way around 250 lbs..Mostly they are about 150 to 200 so they put up a bloody good fight..I've cleaned up a shitload with my old screaming eagle bow and with my enfield 303 over the years..Mostly they are to bloody wormy or swampy to eat..Go get those squeelin bASTards mate..
    • 1780 posts
    August 31, 2011 12:37 AM PDT
    Rexbo47 wrote...
    Classic Hogbane...

Rexbo that is one beatiful weapon....WOW!!
    Dragon

• 277 posts
    August 31, 2011 3:33 AM PDT
    This is a horrible post for us animal lovers....although I do like a good T-Bone!
    • 1780 posts
    August 31, 2011 3:39 AM PDT
    HDBeech wrote...
    This is a horrible post for us animal lovers....although I do like a good T-Bone!

HD my wife SMOKED some T-Bones last night .....Mother of all that is good to the taste, these were awsome!!!!!!!

• 3006 posts
    August 31, 2011 3:49 AM PDT
    Just be carefull with those beasts,someone I knew who was hunting for them, out here they get huge,got knocked down and gored really bad in the leg, Those tusks dont look like much yet with force behind them can shred a person quick.He was using a crossbow,yet lucky for him,was able to get his 45 out in time before it killed him.
    • 1780 posts
    August 31, 2011 4:03 AM PDT
    I know this sounds stupid but that's the rush I get from hunting hogs. It's sort of like giving a deer a 30/06 to even up the odds a bit. With the technology we have now days in the guns and scopes we use you can drop a deer or hog from quite a distance away. Reminds me of the sene in My cousin vinny where his girfriend is telling him about the little deer drinking water at a peaceful stream and then Balm get's shot in its little head.
  • August 31, 2011 1:24 PM PDT
    HDBeech wrote...

There's nothing lovable about feral hogs, my dear.

Well, 'cept the ribs, tenderloins, and chops.
  • August 31, 2011 1:29 PM PDT
    nightdragon wrote...
    Rexbo47 wrote...
    Classic Hogbane...

Rexbo that is one beatiful weapon....WOW!!
    Dragon

Thank you, Sir!

It's a Model 1952 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, considered in it's day to be the finest bolt action hunting rifle of its day.

I've wanted one all my life and recently picked this one up at a great price (although a bit more than the $205 in cost in 1954)

It's wearing an M8 Leupold 4X for now until I can find the right period scope for it.

I hope to take a hog with it in the spring,if I can score a freezer by then,
    • 467 posts
    September 2, 2011 1:37 AM PDT
    Being an animal lover myself............I CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO THE MOUNTAINS TODAY!!! Goin' elk hunting this weekend and scoping out our hunt area for moose later in the month. 3 elk tags and 1 moose tag should fill the freezer pretty well.
    We would love to go hog hunting in TX. We have been invited several times, but can't seem to get enough time together to do it up proper. Hope you have a great time ND!!
    • 2 posts
    September 5, 2011 5:41 AM PDT
    • 314 posts
    September 8, 2011 12:34 AM PDT