It's days like these....

• 9 posts
    May 30, 2011 3:23 AM PDT

Yup, it's days like these when I miss having a bike.  I would be riding in a memorial run.  Waving my flag off the back.  Smiling and talking personally to veterans. Don't get me wrong, I don't "need" a bike to go and show my gratitude.  And I won't let that stop me from remembering the sacrifices that were made.  It's just a way of showing the "FREEDOM" that some paid a very high price for.  And I want them to know, just how grateful I am.                                    It takes a special person, to put themselves in harms way, for their country, their families, and themselves.  And I for one, will NEVER FORGET that.   So, Thank You.  God Bless America, and God Bless You!

Ride Free
    Tweek

• 1516 posts
    May 30, 2011 4:36 AM PDT
    Well said
    • 16870 posts
    May 30, 2011 6:05 AM PDT
    Tweek my friend, I'm in the same boat having to have sold my Ultra in October, this weekend is a real trial of emotions.

Being a vet and not riding in the vet stuff after all these years is a very hard time for me.
    But I know if I build and sell enough stuff hopefully in the next few years things will be back to a more normal lifestyle.

Keep on keeping on my friend, keep the faith, and things will get better. :-)
    • 0 posts
    May 30, 2011 8:11 AM PDT
    Tweek my luv.I'll share what I do with you.For starters you dont need to wait til memorial day to thank a Vet.I thank my mates all the time by thinking of them and just giving a quiet "cheers lads" when Im having a beer.You dont need your bike to take part in these events either just turn up and wave your flag and shake a Vets hand or buy them a beer and say thanx mate.Everyone has their own way of remembering and paying their respect.I miss my mates who I always knew would stand shoulder to shoulder with me in the craziness.Tweek ,my theory is,Shed a tear raise a beer, then have another for those not here....To all my comrades out there" Heres lookin up ya kilt"CHEERS BOOF
  • May 30, 2011 9:16 AM PDT
    Hope everyone had a great day so far for rememberance and prayers. Tommorrow I go to our National Cemetery to help remove around 10thousand flags It will be just as somber as the day we put them in. God Bless America
    • 3006 posts
    May 30, 2011 2:18 PM PDT
    Tweek ur not alone,my ride is tore apart,waiting for some carb parts,some long overdue maintenance..watched the parade & memorial serivces in DC today,pretty kool stuff,yet i would be happier if I heard the Pres was gonna take a direct hand in cleaning up the VA hospital system,after hearing some awfull horror storys with veterans trying to get med attention..and like you I wont ever forget their sacrifices,its burned into my memory..!!!
  • May 30, 2011 2:40 PM PDT
    Well said all !!!! It dosen't boil down to just one day. There is a national holiday set aside, but I think about all the current serving members and the vets a lot more often than that! Tweek and Rev BigJohn....it isn't written anywhere that I am aware of that you have to have a ride to remember,thank, or help out vets or serving members and their families.
    • 16870 posts
    May 31, 2011 4:58 AM PDT
    sjsak1 wrote...
    Tweek and Rev BigJohn....it isn't written anywhere that I am aware of that you have to have a ride to remember,thank, or help out vets or serving members and their families.

My concern is being a vet and belonging to certain vet riding groups I must have a bike under me to fullfill certain obligations.
    I had to step down from participating, that's all I was getting at.

• May 31, 2011 5:17 AM PDT
    I caught that RevBigJohn. My point was that even though you had to step down cause you couldn't meet the riding obligations, there is always other things that can be done, that's all.
    • 16870 posts
    May 31, 2011 9:38 AM PDT
    sjsak1 wrote...
    I caught that RevBigJohn. My point was that even though you had to step down cause you couldn't meet the riding obligations, there is always other things that can be done, that's all.

You are correct my friend, it just feels weird right now.

• May 31, 2011 11:07 AM PDT
    I hope this Country gets headed on the right track, we need to start remembering why were the best Damn Country on the planet.We need to change our love affair with the allmighty dollar and profit margin real fast and get back to buying and more importantly manufacturing american made products in the USA so that all of the new crop of Veterans have jobs and money in their pockets to live the quickly fading American dream that we all have heard of.
  • May 31, 2011 11:45 AM PDT
    This generations warriors are going to need more jobs than are out there. So I guess us older Vets need to retire to make room for for those serving now. I guarantee than no servicemember will ever be treated in the thankless manner that my generations warriors were treated. God Bless America, God Bless our Warriors, Thanks to all Veterans. Now lets grab our bootstraps and return our country to the number 1 position. We're Americans, We're Number 1. Cut the PC crap and get on with it.