just as ..

• g
    March 13, 2011 5:41 AM PDT
    i thought i was begining to see the light , ive been working on ma bike for a few months now trying to get it all ready for the summer , just put on new filters and lines and brake pads ,just had tyres to get then get it taxed and tested for may , thought id take it for a run today ,see two police bikes across the main street looking over ,i knew then they were going to pull me , they went over my bike ,waz a right pair a wankers ,got a spot fine for my plate ,say its to small ,£60 on the spot , at this moment times are hard ,lost my job last sep ,got new job at bike shop hein gericke in aberdeen ,and the pay is shite , so cant afford now to keep her on the rd so might have to sell her .
  • March 13, 2011 6:04 AM PDT
    Sorry to hear it, man. Sounds like if it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all. Hope it all works out, and the bike continues to live in your garage......except when you're riding it of course !

jb
  • March 13, 2011 6:41 AM PDT
    That really sucks. All I remember about being bikeless is that it sucks bad. Good Luck.
  • March 13, 2011 7:55 AM PDT
    Wow That sucks. Is tax and tested like a yearly inspection we have in the states if so how much does that set you back. Hope you keep your ride and get to tour this year. Webby
    • 0 posts
    March 13, 2011 8:45 AM PDT
    g over the years i've had the arse outta my strides too..Looking back now , I reckon the biggest mistakes i've made have been selling off my bikes or cars when cash got lean..The way i look at it now is ,if times get tough push the scoots up the back of the shed and cover them up until things improve....Coz things always bloody improve...CHEERS Mate
    • 3006 posts
    March 13, 2011 9:04 AM PDT
    Hi G
    I agree w/Boof dont sell it off,recently I was confronted with a situation that made me seriously consider selling the ride. After checking the market & realizing I would hardly get enough to make it worth selling I decided against it,if I cant register,I'll just put her up till I can..besides the bike is my emergency wheels when the truck takes a crap!!!
  • g
    March 13, 2011 9:13 AM PDT
    thanks guys ,good words.i need my bike for the mnd run i have organised ,it will be a strugle to get it ready for then as its on the 7th may ,dont care if i dont get to use my bike for the rest of the summer ,but i need it for his event .thats all i care about .
    • 58 posts
    March 13, 2011 10:58 AM PDT
    I'm confused, Grant. What plate was too small that you got the ticket for?
    • 580 posts
    March 14, 2011 1:54 AM PDT
    G - sorry to hear that chuckle - hope things improve soon. Don't sell it - if funds get too low you can always SORN it for a while till things get better. Hugs (o:

Rufcut - the plate is the number plate on the back of the bike. They're supposed to be a standard size but often we make em a bit smaller to look or fit better on our bikes. Sometimes Plod will ignore this little misdemeanour but others they'll slap ya with a fine and potentially points on your licence. These particular two Plods must have got outta bed the wrong side :0(
  • March 14, 2011 2:41 AM PDT
    don't give up brother!
    • 19067 posts
    March 14, 2011 3:06 AM PDT
    Chiming in and agreeing with Boof. Hang tough ya crazy Scotsman. What would William Wallace do?
    • 0 posts
    March 14, 2011 8:10 AM PDT
    William Wallace would pull up his skirt give em all a bloody big flash then abuse the cops and call the racial names after making abbusive phone calls to his Russian wife.....
    • 9 posts
    March 14, 2011 8:43 AM PDT
    G, I'm with BOOF, on this one. Push it into a corner, cover it, and forget about it until things improve. I've sold bikes, thinking it would help out, and in the long run, it didn't make much difference. If I had it to "do over",well, ya know. Don't let regret be something you get to familiar with. It don't cost nothing, if you ain't using it. But the chunk of your heart that will be missing, kinda costly...RIDE FREE, Brother
    Tweek
  • March 14, 2011 8:55 AM PDT
    I'm in the same boat G, got layed off in Sept of last year and the money is really tight right now. But the one thing that keeps me sane and in the groove are my rides with my friends on the weekends. I had to sell our motorhome and a car too but kept the bike for my sanity. I hope you will find a way to keep yours as well. Karma will get those officers that wrote you the ticket too!
  • g
    March 14, 2011 10:28 AM PDT
    ive had a chat with shirlaws motorbikes in aberdeen and he says if i work for them on my days off they will help me get my bike on the rd for the mnd event on the 7th of may ,or they will give me a bike to use for the event ,ffs roll up my sleves .lol
  • g
    March 14, 2011 10:29 AM PDT
    thanks for the words guys , ur a good bunch .
    • 58 posts
    March 14, 2011 4:04 PM PDT
    Is what I tell my kid too. He is wanting to sell his yammer cause money is tight. I just remind him that it costs more to buy a new one than to park this one... Been there, done that, as have most of us, I think!
    • 58 posts
    March 14, 2011 4:06 PM PDT
    chocmintz wrote...
    G - sorry to hear that chuckle - hope things improve soon. Don't sell it - if funds get too low you can always SORN it for a while till things get better. Hugs (o:

Rufcut - the plate is the number plate on the back of the bike. They're supposed to be a standard size but often we make em a bit smaller to look or fit better on our bikes. Sometimes Plod will ignore this little misdemeanour but others they'll slap ya with a fine and potentially points on your licence. These particular two Plods must have got outta bed the wrong side :0(

I knew your tags were large.  Never saw one (at least not that I remember) cut down to fit.

• 16870 posts
    March 14, 2011 5:57 PM PDT
    Up until a few years ago our motorcycle license plates here in Pennsylvania were a slight bit different in size then the other states so finding a chrome frame to fit was difficult, then a couple of companies started making and charging a lot more for ones that fit.
    Then when the demand for these new frames went to 0, the greedy S.O.B.'s chocked on their unsellable supply.
    I hate greedy folks :-)
  • March 15, 2011 12:55 AM PDT
    g? like ruffcut says....just park her for a spell. I done that several times in my life, I tell ya what? I'm much happier havin her in the garage all all safe n sound then not have her at all...Lots cheaper to slowly save for repairs then buy another one...