Man says he tried to shoot dog, killed wife

• 5420 posts
    March 1, 2011 5:03 AM PST
    Yep, that would be my story...

A Twin Peaks man was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter Friday night after he said he accidentally shot his wife instead of the family dog, which was aggressive toward him, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

Faith Ellen Bater, 61, was found dead of a gunshot wound to the head shortly after 1 p.m. by deputies responding to a call of a shooting in the 500 block of Sunset View Road in the San Bernardino Mountains community of Twin Peaks, according to a sheriff's news release.

Later Friday night, her husband, Brant Bater, 61, was arrested and booked into the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga. "He was cooperative with investigators," Cindy Bachman, a sheriff's department spokeswoman, said by phone.

• March 1, 2011 5:05 AM PST
    Where was that safety again??????
    • 1516 posts
    March 1, 2011 5:21 AM PST
    Just gotta wonder if there was Alcohol involved..
    • 277 posts
    March 1, 2011 5:47 AM PST
    Uh, he shot the wife in the HEAD. How big was that dog?
    • 0 posts
    March 1, 2011 5:47 AM PST
    I used to have a dog like that..Debrajo you cant always blame alcohol,Im drunk most of the time and have never shot a wife..fatally anyways CHEERS
    • 1066 posts
    March 1, 2011 6:08 AM PST
       Boof, you are too much !!!    
  • March 1, 2011 6:20 AM PST
    HDBeech wrote...
    Uh, he shot the wife in the HEAD. How big was that dog?

HD? That was my first thought...funny but sad.....

• 844 posts
    March 1, 2011 6:23 AM PST
    Same thing happened to me...well kind of... I accidently SHOT the DOG!!!

• 9 posts
    March 1, 2011 9:31 AM PST
    I see they never explained what happened to the dog. Was it quarantined? Check'd for rabies? DebraJo, I don't think there is any doubt about the alcohol, unless the dog was a Chihuahua she was holding next to her ear...yea that's it, it tried to bite his nose...whatever. Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 277 posts
    March 1, 2011 9:34 AM PST
    Hey, didn't Lucky say that was going to be his story? WELL, he has to damn well get me a dog first!
    • 1516 posts
    March 1, 2011 10:11 AM PST
    BOOF wrote...
    I used to have a dog like that..Debrajo you cant always blame alcohol,Im drunk most of the time and have never shot a wife..fatally anyways CHEERS

Boofie.. hello, you are practiced!!!

• 0 posts
    March 1, 2011 5:41 PM PST
    Well I drink alittle and shoot alot so yeah i'm practised I guess
    • 1780 posts
    March 1, 2011 10:19 PM PST
    Well she shouldn't bay at the moon all night long. That would piss off anyone.
  • March 2, 2011 2:57 AM PST
    we're all assuming he hit he wife in the head while aiming at the dog. Maybe he mistook his wife for the dog... Anyone seen a picture of the lady yet... I'm just saying, it could happen.
  • March 2, 2011 4:58 AM PST
    They must be newlyweds if that was the best story he could come up with!
    • 2072 posts
    March 2, 2011 12:34 PM PST
    Good thing he didn't hit the dog....... ASPCA would have been all over his ass !!!!!!
    • 3006 posts
    March 2, 2011 3:29 PM PST
    Any idea of what sort of dog it was? If this aint the most lame sounding excuse in the world,ranks rite up there with the guy who got arrested for driving 35 miles with his better half hangin on the hood of their minivan, was followed by passerbys who called in the incident..according to the report he hit speeds of nearly 100 mph..the fool was taken into custody later..she survived with only minor scrapes n bruise's