The Bottom Line....

• 9 posts
    January 30, 2011 5:46 AM PST

Hey Ya'll

I'm getting feedback from people about the B/T Eastcoast Run. I want and need all the helpful suggestions, anyone has, as far as accomodations along the route go. I am planning several stops, so that no one daily ride exceeds 500 miles. What I need to know, because this ride will include couples and maybe a family or three, is if 500 is a good number. For couples, and hell, for that matter, some singles, 500 may be a bit excessive. I myself, could ride that with no problem. But that's just me. Since I have made no firm commitment to any campsite along the route, yet, I need to know NOW, so that I can make these arrangements ahead of time. The ride leaves St. Augustine on June 12, 2012. That is the only FIRM date. My preliminary itinerary is mapped, but now is the time to make those suggestions, so that any changes can be incorporated. 
    So far, there is a 47-47 split on singles and couples, with a 6% showing for families. I want everyone to be comfortable, and not stressed. This is going to be a FUN ride. So please, the bottom line here, is that I need to know what Ya'll need, so that I can make this ride happen the right way. And also, for the other bottom line. If I can get the venues locked in, I will then be able to post, the projected cost to all of you, less the cost of fuel. That's something we all are going to be at the mercy of...UGH!!!  This is a once in a lifetime trip for me. And I plan on enjoying every single moment, and meeting so many of you, face-to-face, and building memories. If that sounds like something you want to be a part of, then you need only do a little planning. Forego that cup of Star Bucks every day from now til June 2012, and you'll have close to a thousand dollars in the kitty for the trip! That's just one suggestion. C'mon, ya'll know there's something you can live without, if you want to have a memory that will last a lifetime. Ok, ok, I'm gettin' off the soapbox. I really want you to be a part of this, can you TELL??? So let me know, times a wastin'!!!  RIDE FREE

Tweek

• 58 posts
    January 30, 2011 7:05 AM PST
    Tweek, If you were to drop the average day to +/- 400 mile might be easier on many and still maybe a stretch for some. Biggest thing though, would give an extra couple hours a day social time while still not extending the trip too much (time wise). if i can make it (a big if as the run itself would be lees than half the trip for me), camping suits me.
    • 0 posts
    January 30, 2011 7:45 AM PST
    From my experience with 2 bikes you can average 50 mph pretty consistent, but for every bike you add you will cut your average by 1 mph, Unless you say we are leaving at this time and meeting here at this time and you are on your own in between.

people are not ready on time and waiting inline at the bathrooms, and group meals take a lot longer, and on and on.

So, in answer to your question, I think you are too high for a group ride.
  • RT
    January 30, 2011 8:12 AM PST
    From my experience not a lot of people riding 2 up enjoy riding more than 300 miles a day. Wife and I have rode many 500 mile days and I pull a camper with my Harley but I would not want to average that over a week.
  • January 30, 2011 12:13 PM PST
    GaryTJ's numbers are about what i have experienced riding in a large group and your always gonna get iron butt riders who can ride 12 plus hrs per day. You might want to separate the groups into two or three packs as well. My experience has shown that very large groups are a king size hassle when you stop for fuel, food or lodging.If our destination is the same it dont really matter when you get there right. The iron butts will have an extra day to relax and the rest of us will get there when we get there. I personally don't like to ride with a group larger than about 8to10 bikes but thats just me and i'm flexible and will do whatever really, it's just what i prefer.
  • January 31, 2011 12:25 AM PST
    Everyone. I agree with a lot of these comments. I would definitely break the group down to 8 riders for safety, fuel stops and sometimes you are breaking in a rider who has not done a group ride. One thing for sure I have noticed biking and camping is that large motorcycle groups are not welcome at many campgrounds especially if someone has ground pounders or TT pipes. Biker friendly campgrounds are hard to find. 350-400 miles per day, depending on weather is the number if families and a lot of 2 up riders come out. I typically ride 500-650 but I long ride all the time and am used to it but shorter mileage will provide more social time and that's really what we are doing right?
    • 202 posts
    February 1, 2011 11:38 PM PST
    I'm loving this insight and taking notes... i am going this ride in about 5+ years, from east coast to west coast.

Back in the early 80's i took a trip from the west coast to the east coast. Took us three months! Was the best trip of my life. (that was in a car) this time it will be on the bike. I'm a spontaneous kind of person, don't like following schedules for more than an outline. I'll go with a very small group of like minded riders.
    • 2 posts
    February 2, 2011 1:16 AM PST
    Personally if I am going to put in more than ~500mi/24 hours will take the truck or the Mustang
    BUT
    If you must, this is a site suggested by people I have confidence in

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm
    • 19067 posts
    February 2, 2011 2:43 AM PST
    Echoing what others have said, 500 per day is too much. Especially for a group of even modest size. If you are hammering interstate maybe but where is the fun in that? 300 to 350 is more realistic. If the weather turns sour that will slow you even more. If you are reserving campsites be aware of campground cancellation policies. A lot require at least 48 hours so if you get delayed you will lose deposits. Speaking of interstates, I highly recommend avoiding I-95 from Richmond VA all the way through NH. It is a VERY conjested, high tension road in that long stretch, especially from DC to Conn. Send me a PM with a phone number and we can talk more. I have travelled the east coast extensively and have many questions and suggestions.
  • February 3, 2011 12:41 PM PST
    Rex I agree. If you are slabbing it for the trip there is no fun in that at all. I only use I-95 for a quick catch up in the rain to a hotel other than that I avoid it and know it like the back of my hand. You are "on" when you travel that road and texting has just made it more dangerous. I suggest to all to plan the trip from point A to point B with the realization that if you don't make the whole trip, so what. I think it is more fun winging it, albeit within reason, than being on a mission. How's it go - "It's not the destination, it's the journey."