HD

• January 26, 2011 1:09 AM PST

Just watching the BIO Channel  on The Harley Boys from then till now .Have seen it many times but still good.  The scarey part was the great AMF mistake and Willie and many others bought back the company in 1981 boy we dodged a bullet on that one. Just wondering  what  my  CycleFish Brothers & Sisters think of the harley's then and now.

• 846 posts
    January 26, 2011 5:56 AM PST
    As much as everyone bitches about the AMF years (and I’m one who has a 76 AMF/HD Sportster and I do bitch). You have to give them some credit they gave Harley the money for the EVO engine development. That was the start of the new era for HD. They did pull a lot of shit and put the HD logo on a lot of things not bike related and I was glad when they became independent of them. I just have to give credit where it was due. Who know what would have happen otherwise without the EVO engines. Shovel and Iron heads for life? Not that there’s anything wrong with the Shovel and Iron heads (remember mine is an Iron head that still running).

Just my 2 cents, for what it worth.
    • 16870 posts
    January 26, 2011 6:25 AM PST
    AMF bought Harley-Davidson for one reason, it's line of golf carts.
    • 9 posts
    January 26, 2011 10:21 AM PST
    Owned HD's before, during & after AMF, & I have to say my AMF was NO fun, something always breaking. Buy AMF did pour a ton of money into R & D so I guess it paid off in the long run.
    • 9 posts
    January 26, 2011 10:34 AM PST
    My husband owned a 79 Amf Low Rider. We never had a problem with that bike. I remember hearing alot of bitching in the ranks about other models, but it didn't seem to affect ours. I did ask him to have it repainted however, I didn't like the paint job or the decals with the Amf on them. There was a certain stigma that came with it. Oh well, time marches on, and everything changes...Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 0 posts
    January 27, 2011 9:00 AM PST
    I think H/D is behind the times and playing catchup. It will cost them, but they will be fine.

I do like the new Blackline stripped softail they just came out with.

I still have not figured out why they don't put the v-rod motor as an option on the streetglide