Camping in 2011

• 202 posts
    January 19, 2011 7:58 AM PST
    I am planning a few weekend camping trips this year.   Any good ideas on happenings and camp grounds would be greatly appreciated.  I'm on the East Coast (Massachusetts).  Looking to camp within a half a day's ride (8-10 hours or so).  
    • 58 posts
    January 19, 2011 3:49 PM PST
    When we were stationed at Ft Devens, Maine was a favorite place to go.
    • 5420 posts
    January 19, 2011 4:11 PM PST
    LaPhoenix wrote...
    I am planning a few weekend camping trips this year.   Any good ideas on happenings and camp grounds would be greatly appreciated.  I'm on the East Coast (Massachusetts).  Looking to camp within a half a day's ride (8-10 hours or so).  

Anyone who calls 8-10 hours a half-day ride, is my kind of rider

• January 20, 2011 12:08 AM PST
    Look up Wild Duck Campground Scarborough maine ( near Portland) Never been there but internet write up looks good. WEBBY
    • 202 posts
    January 20, 2011 12:57 AM PST
    well, consider a day is 24 hours! Technically 12 hours is a half day's ride... i left room for pit stops!

• 202 posts
    January 20, 2011 12:57 AM PST
    i haven't ridden in Maine, i hear it is beautiful with GREAT roads!
    • 202 posts
    January 20, 2011 1:05 AM PST
    Thanks for the tip... just checked out the campground, looks sweet! And the Beech Ridge Motor Speedway is next door! i'll have to coordinate a camping trip with an event! Woo hooo... nice!
    • 19067 posts
    January 20, 2011 1:25 AM PST
    I haven't bike camped in many years but I do know that area...
    New Hampshire, in the triangle of Littleton, Gorham and Conway (although Conway can get fairly crowded) is very nice. Great riding up there. It is my favorite NE riding place. If the weather is good take the Auto Road to the top of Mt. Washington. Not a ride for the timid though.
    Maine is a great state. I like the Moosehead Lake (Greenville) area. Not too crowded, except on July 4th. Millenockette is good too. The coast gets very crowded in the summer but if you go down-east (above Bar Harbor) it is better. Now in my experience Maine has two kind of roads, either very good or very, very bad. The worst roads I have ever ridden on were there, but I will go back.
    • 846 posts
    January 20, 2011 1:55 AM PST
    There's also Bentley's Saloon in Arundel Me. which has a campground next door. There's a link here in the More\\Motorcycle Friendly Business section. I've done day rides up and back but have not stayed overnight there. If you’re off the beaten path I normally just look for a place with vacancies, but then that’s not the best way to go sometimes.
    • 467 posts
    January 20, 2011 2:50 AM PST
    Check out this website: http://www.recreation.gov/welcome.do?topTabIndex=Home /> Lots of great info, easy to search and you make reservations with your credit card. I use it all the time.
    • 1364 posts
    January 20, 2011 3:00 AM PST
    KOA's are a great way to camp on a bike. We do it all over the country, Most of them have great amenities. Showers, food, pool, hot tubs.....
    • 202 posts
    January 20, 2011 11:07 PM PST
    sweet, lots of great tips. Thanks! ME, NH, VT, NY... One a month! (i'll save ME until late August, when the weather finally breaks 60 degrees!) This is a great project for these winter days... MORE SNOW here in MA. It will be a wet spring that's for sure!
  • RT
    January 21, 2011 12:06 AM PST
    I'll second the KOA campgrounds and add if you plan to do several trips become a member. You will save the dues in discounts and you build up points toward free nights.

RT
    • 846 posts
    January 21, 2011 12:31 AM PST
    My mistake for not adding it in the beginning but don’t forget our own home state Mass. I don’t know which part of the state you hale from but the western part came be just as beautiful as Northern NH & Me. The riding is pretty good too, not the 8-10 hours but don’t discount it. I’ve spent quite a bit of time out there and forget it’s a secret to most.
    • 1 posts
    January 21, 2011 3:28 AM PST
    What part of Mass. are you from???
    • 846 posts
    January 21, 2011 4:58 AM PST
    Northeaster, Outside of Lowell, Ma. on the NH border. But I send a lot of my weekends during the summer around the Charlemont/Greenfield (off Route 2) area.
    • 202 posts
    January 21, 2011 7:12 AM PST
    I LOVE riding out that way (Charlemont / Greenfield) as well as the Brookfields.
    • 202 posts
    January 21, 2011 7:15 AM PST

<< The riding is pretty good too, not the 8-10 hours but don’t discount it.>>

Depends on what route you take...      it  is amazing how long it can take to get from point A to point B on a nice day!   

• 846 posts
    January 21, 2011 7:51 AM PST
    LaPhoenix wrote...

<< The riding is pretty good too, not the 8-10 hours but don’t discount it.>>

Depends on what route you take...      it  is amazing how long it can take to get from point A to point B on a nice day!   

Very true, its not the destination it's the ride. I have a problem (maybe not) of just pointing myself in a direction and if a shiny object catches my eye I drive off in that direction. I haven't tried the Brookfield area. Will need to put it on the list for this year sometime. Sounds like a day trip.
    • 601 posts
    January 21, 2011 9:13 AM PST
    Well if you ever get over my way, check out eagle point camping, just a few miles away from me on some of the wildest coastline in the world, roads where you see the back of your own bike while riding and if your eyesight is good you can see St Johns - New Foundland..i think its about 4000 miles. Bikers get a special welcome as its run by bikers.
    • 202 posts
    January 21, 2011 10:55 PM PST
    Well if you ever get over my way, check out eagle point camping, just a few miles away from me on some of the wildest coastline in the world

I'm sorry, where is this??? Sounds GOOD! 

• 601 posts
    January 21, 2011 11:14 PM PST
    Ireland ! but if you ever get here, I'll put on the kettle, and yes it is fantastic.
    • 202 posts
    January 22, 2011 6:40 AM PST
    i'd have to rent a bike (wouldn't be taking mine) ... but i am irish, so you never know!