Man times and Terminology has changed......

• 284 posts
    March 2, 2013 3:40 AM PST
    I am out of date on this stuff.

Man the names of stuff has changed.  When I started riding and you asked someone "What do you Ride"  you would hear, Panhead, Knuckle, Shovel, Flathead now there are more names for HD than hair on my head.

Now ya got 103, 88, 72, 883, 48,  what kind of names are those for bikes?  Reading the forums, sports bike, Cruiser, Spyder?,   Some of my Buddies call those cheap - nip bikes ASS BLASTERS cause the guys Ass is in the Air and looks like he must be Farting.

I ride a Sportster, and not even sure what the engine is, but calling it a 1200 is whimpie, I wish it had a cool name LIke SpadeHead, or TrainHead....

Dyna?, reminds me of that song about in the kitchen with Dyna, Softail? someones sissy - you get this one, Touring?, CVO?  caught violating others?   Fatbob is the best, I can just see some guy Riding on Fat Bob's Back.

Just like when ya talked bikes, it was ying ying bike or Nip bike, euro scooter - remember every time you saw a Triumph it was on the side of the road with electrical problems just like the cars, or I RIDE A HARLEY....

Then the Nips started making V twin.  Guess they wanted a Real Bike also.  So the nippers could ride to work, In Suit and Tie, and feel Cool instead of Embarrased.

We all know that the First Muscle Bike for HD was the Sportster.  It still is the Powerhouse of HD.

Just like in the Bike of the Month, the Coolest was the 49 Panhead.

Lets Face it HD needs to go back to the Cool Names, Like Panhead, KnuckleHead, IronHead.
    • 44 posts
    March 2, 2013 4:02 AM PST
     You are So Right
    • 16870 posts
    March 2, 2013 5:06 AM PST
    "Lets Face it HD needs to go back to the Cool Names, Like Panhead, KnuckleHead, IronHead."

They got their names from riders not Harley Davidson. :-)
    • 1780 posts
    March 2, 2013 6:42 AM PST
    SilverSportster....seems like to me you still might feel somewhat insecure about your ride.........Let it go Bro. Sportsters are bad ass all the way. It will be OK.....Just go out there and blow some Rice Rockets off the street, and you will feel much better.
    Just pulling ya leg Bro
    Dragon
    • 2 posts
    March 2, 2013 7:59 AM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    "Lets Face it HD needs to go back to the Cool Names, Like Panhead, KnuckleHead, IronHead."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Sportster

The Sportster is a line of motorcycles produced continuously since 1957 by the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. Sportster models are designated in Harley-Davidson's product code by beginning with "XL"

Construction

The original Sportster engine was the Ironhead engine, which was replaced with the Evolution engine in 1986. 

Significant changes by model year

·         1957 "Ironhead" overhead-valve engine introduced.

·         1972 "Ironhead" 1,000 cc overhead-valve engine replaces 900 cc.

·         1985 Last year for the "Ironhead" overhead-valve engine.

·         1986 "Evolution" engine introduced in 883 cc and 1,100 cc sizes.

·         1988 1200 cc engine replaces 1,100 cc engine.

·         1991 Belt drive replaces chain drive on 883 Deluxe and all 1200 models.

·         1993 Belt drive made standard on all Sportsters.

·         2003 Last year for the frame mounted Evolution engine.

·         2004 All-new frame including rubber-mounted engine for decreased vibration.

·         2007 Fuel injection replaces carburetion on all models.

• 79 posts
    March 2, 2013 2:54 PM PST
    The evo was called a blockhead but nobody seemed to like the name.
    • 16870 posts
    March 2, 2013 3:06 PM PST
    99Savage wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Sportster

The Sportster is a line of motorcycles produced continuously since 1957 by the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. Sportster models are designated in Harley-Davidson's product code by beginning with "XL"

Construction

The original Sportster engine was the Ironhead engine, which was replaced with the Evolution engine in 1986. 

Significant changes by model year

·         1957 "Ironhead" overhead-valve engine introduced.

·         1972 "Ironhead" 1,000 cc overhead-valve engine replaces 900 cc.

·         1985 Last year for the "Ironhead" overhead-valve engine.

·         1986 "Evolution" engine introduced in 883 cc and 1,100 cc sizes.

·         1988 1200 cc engine replaces 1,100 cc engine.

·         1991 Belt drive replaces chain drive on 883 Deluxe and all 1200 models.

·         1993 Belt drive made standard on all Sportsters.

·         2003 Last year for the frame mounted Evolution engine.

·         2004 All-new frame including rubber-mounted engine for decreased vibration.

·         2007 Fuel injection replaces carburetion on all models.

I didn't know wikipedia was an official publication of the Harley-Davidson Motor Company.

Thanks for proving my point, nobody including H-D referred to any Sportster as an "Ironhead" until H-D made the EVO Sporty.

• 11 posts
    March 3, 2013 1:08 AM PST
    SilverSportster,
    If I ever meet you...I will sing that song to you.  It is Named
    "I've Been Working On The Railroad" 
    The verse you have sorta quoted is the last verse!

Someone's in the kitchen with Dyna, someone's in the kitchen, i Knoooooow,
    Someone's in the kitchen with Dyna! Strummin' on the 'ole banjo,
    Singing fee, fi, fiddly-i-o, fee, fi, fiddly-i-oooo, fee, fi, fiddly-i-0!
    Strummin on the 'ole banjo!