CycleFish went Down for the First Time

• 5420 posts
    February 19, 2013 3:38 AM PST
    Don't know if any of you noticed but the CycleFish site went down for the first time (unplanned) last night around 9:45 (west coast time). Why? Because of the show the Devils Ride.  Apparently as the show was airing 100,000 people or so searched on "Devils Ride", "Devils Ride real or fake", "Laffing Devils real", etc.  Just happens our forum on the Devils Ride comes up first in google when you search on any of those. Not that I mind, we work hard to show up in search engines for anything that is on our site. 

The good news is it happened for a long enough period that I was able to pinpoint the weak area in our system and we are working on an upgrade to our systems to be able to handle any traffic spikes in the future.

• 1364 posts
    February 19, 2013 4:00 AM PST
    Way to be on top of it Lucky, That's one  of many reasons  CycleFish Rocks
    • 9 posts
    February 19, 2013 6:07 AM PST
    A shame it wasn't due to people lookin' to advertise on the site, huh? I have plans to be in Daytona, Lucky,
    so if ya feel like sending me some stuff, to get us out there, I'm game.

RIde Free
    Tweek
    • 1780 posts
    February 19, 2013 6:50 AM PST
    Lucky you da Man!!!!!!
    • 5420 posts
    February 19, 2013 6:50 AM PST
    Actually Tweek it did work out. I had a bunch of people contact me who learned about the site last night!!!
    • 1780 posts
    February 19, 2013 6:51 AM PST
    Everything happens for a reason.........
    • 58 posts
    February 19, 2013 6:55 AM PST
    WOW! Way Kool!
  • February 19, 2013 7:11 AM PST
    glad to read that you may have picked up some new folks from a website search gone a rye.Hey why not take em anyway you can.Thanks again to the effort from you and the crew.
    • 19067 posts
    February 19, 2013 7:23 AM PST
    highrisk wrote...
    Way to be on top of it Lucky, That's one  of many reasons  CycleFish Rocks

Yea! What he said...and that explains the spike in new members last night.

• 284 posts
    February 19, 2013 7:47 AM PST
    Wow many other sites go down way more than that. Nice place....
    • 5420 posts
    February 19, 2013 7:56 AM PST
    And nothing irritates me more than a site that goes down or bogs down. It's okay if you have a small site, but when you have a site like this that people use on a regular basis, it is not acceptable!

I am constantly looking for ways to improve the sites performance so as it grows it doesn't slow. Trust me went it went down last night, I was pissed. That was the first time EVER in four years CycleFish was not available (excluding planned maintenance which evereyone is notified about).  I thought I had the systems in place to handle any type of spike. We do NOW!

Guess we'll find out during next weeks Devils Ride :-)
    • 834 posts
    February 19, 2013 8:00 AM PST
    I was on around that time last night and didn't even notice. It must not have been down too long.

And I agree this is one of the better sites for consistant performance. I have never had a problem in the years I have been using it!
  • February 19, 2013 8:31 AM PST
    I wondered what happened. I was trying to refresh the Browse Latest Post and nothing happened. I thought maybe I did something bad.
  • February 19, 2013 9:04 AM PST
    Bad Fred ,sit,stay, good boy.lol
    • 1780 posts
    February 19, 2013 10:10 AM PST
    Lucky, my Brother you and Your Site ............."ROCKS"

• 5420 posts
    February 20, 2013 12:51 PM PST
    AzRider wrote...
    I was on around that time last night and didn't even notice. It must not have been down too long.

And I agree this is one of the better sites for consistant performance. I have never had a problem in the years I have been using it!

It was down for almost 11 minutes the first time and then three smaller outages of less than 5 minutes each!

BTW - If you didn't get the PM yet, we are upgrading our server on Sunday night so the system will be down for about an hour... this one is planned!

• 441 posts
    February 20, 2013 2:07 PM PST
    This site is great. Congrats to its IT Admins or whoever is doing whatever to keep it going. GREAT JOB
    • 5420 posts
    February 21, 2013 6:56 AM PST
    The show is on again, site going a little slow but not going down
    • 11 posts
    February 21, 2013 10:17 AM PST
    Tweek, have a great time in Daytona! Wish i had the free time to go.
    Lucky, even though the site went down, hopefully, more folks are joining this wonderful site!
    • 5420 posts
    February 26, 2013 8:34 AM PST
    I noticed some slow downs in the site performance again last night. We are right now in the middle of migrating over to a new more powerful server. All of the technical gurus tell me we can do this with the site live and we should not experience any interruption of service.
    • 5420 posts
    February 27, 2013 3:11 AM PST
    Okay we are up and fully running our our new latest and greatest hardware.

Just wondering if anyone notices any difference at all in the site speed... good or bad?

It is hard for me to tell since I have a direct network with the site.
    • 834 posts
    March 2, 2013 8:10 AM PST
    Hey Lucky. Working great for me, but I never noticed it going any slower anyway!

Keep up the good work!
  • March 3, 2013 7:42 PM PST
    Sequestration cut backs at CF?