Earthquake!

• October 16, 2012 11:55 PM PDT
    So did any of my New England friends feel the earthquake last night?  I'm sure this is no biggie for ya'll west coasters, but it's all the news this morning in southern New Hampshire today.  Around 8:00ish last night, Hubby and I noticed a low rumble like that of an eighteen wheeler putting on his brakes.  Our dogs started running all around the room and the house was shaking.  Freaky stuff, man!
    • 9 posts
    October 17, 2012 12:27 AM PDT
    WOW, Jill...my roommate is from New Hampshire, she's gonna wanna hear about this. She worked a double yesterday, and ran out to do another today. I'll text her and see what she's heard from her "peeps". Scary, tho, huh?
    When I was visiting my Dad in Ohio, back in the early eighty's, I was sittin' on the bed, with my Dad's dog Em, watchin' the news...when all a sudden, the dog started goin' crazy, and then I heard dishes rattlin' in the kitchen, and THEN I felt the bed movin'...WTF? In OHIO, an earthquake? And just as I was askin' myself that, the people on the news station, stopped what they were doin', and reported an "unconfirmed" earthquake. It was later
    confirmed. So, yeah....it IS scary. I suppose all the folks on the west coast, are laffin' their asses off, at our
    folly. But Ya'll are used to that shit. Us Yanks, are the newbs, to that stuff. Sheesh...

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 5420 posts
    October 17, 2012 4:47 AM PDT
    Kind of exciting wasn't it StreetBobGirl!!!  And yeah dogs do tottally freak out during earthquakes.  They normally detect them just a few seconds before we feel them.

Tweek, Well I wouldn't say we are laughing our asses off, but we are chuckling a little... of course it's okay since there was no damage or injuries.

A 4.0... those are just reminders for us to check the batteries in the flashlights in our earthquake kits in case we have a "real" earthquake :-)

Again, glad to hear no one was hurt!
    • 3006 posts
    October 17, 2012 6:21 AM PDT
    Yeah the 4.0 stuff aint nothing out here,cept like Lucky said, a good reason to chk your EQ plans & make sure you have some source of water handy,batterys still working & extra blankets n stuff outside in a sealed box or old empty ice cooler,which is what i use,have extra large funky tent,some blankets,cooking grill,charcoals,lighter fluid etc.
    Hopefully we will never have to git into that situation again in my life !!! Animals are certainly more aware of it,my cat went crazy rite before the Loma Prieta quake hit in 89,she went straight for the door LOL
    • 5420 posts
    October 17, 2012 6:29 AM PDT
    Ron, your earthquake kit sounds just like what I pack for a rally!!!
    • 3006 posts
    October 17, 2012 7:02 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...

LMAO
    yeah I seen your kit for a rally n wonder how you manage all that extra gear ??
    you deserve some sort of award  
    • 1 posts
    October 17, 2012 2:08 PM PDT
    Been in two before, one on the west coast one on the east coast... Both under 4.0, both I slept through. But Dew ( My daugter) has been in a big one.
    • 16870 posts
    October 17, 2012 4:33 PM PDT
    We get small quakes now and then due to the Teutonic Plates in the Great Lake region, nothing newsworthy.
    • 19067 posts
    October 17, 2012 11:20 PM PDT
    Been in two. One when I was on the crapper in the Barracks in Japan. Needless to say I finished quickly and got out side. The other was on the beach on Guam. That one nearly knocked me down. Headed for high ground expecting a tsunami but thankfully none came.
  • October 17, 2012 11:51 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...

Now that's funny, Lucky. 

Mike, TMI man, TMI.  LMAO!
    • 1516 posts
    October 18, 2012 2:26 AM PDT
    I haven't felt one in a while.. I would have been a little freaked out too

Lucky.. you have a point.. lol
    • 846 posts
    October 18, 2012 5:17 AM PDT
    Well I have to say that's the first one for me (that I can remember) we felt it down on the NH/Ma border. The cats all wanted out of the house before it hit and when it did it wasn't till it continued for a while that a earthquake came to mind. There is a good size fault in the area of New England and the only big one we've had in the area was in 1755 so i guess we were due. It did spice up a dull Tuesday night. Just something else to consider now.
  • October 18, 2012 5:26 AM PDT
    We've had a few minor ones in New York. Most of the time I either sleep through them but sometimes I'm aware of them. Funny story, I have a waterbed and when we do get a quake it makes the water ripple. Feels like I have a built in vibrating mattress, lol.

Good site to check if you feel one: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/
  • October 23, 2012 12:05 AM PDT
    hey I can relate to ya,streetbob girl, believe it or not, we felt 2 from Oklahoma just last fall. was sitting on the couch watching the news and told my hubby to stop shaking the couch, at the same time we were moving away from the wall. I personally would rather a tornado come through than an earthquake! you can at least get away from it in basements. the rockin and rolling thing was totally freaky!!!! Guess I should get more ready for one of those earth movers though, as there is a major fault line running right through the middle of Kansas! YIKES!!!
    • 1161 posts
    October 23, 2012 4:54 PM PDT
    I remember the one we had in Wisconsin a few years back my ex wife and I were watching TV before bed it felt like the wave like in water it was very cool. Then 15 or 20 minutes it was a news breaking headline.
    • 2 posts
    October 24, 2012 12:05 PM PDT
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    We get small quakes now and then due to the Teutonic Plates in the Great Lake region, nothing newsworthy.

Same in Southern NY

Downtown Elmira mostly built late 19th, early 20th centuries

Handsome buildings made of brick & stone but if you look carefully you can see that the walls have cracked and tie-rods have been run thru them to keep them from cracking further.

Had a couple of dish rattlers during the past 35 years. 

• 58 posts
    October 24, 2012 2:25 PM PDT
    Three tours to Ft Ord, CA and never "felt" a quake. Thanksgiving '88 in Massachusetts one rocked the house. I think the epicenter for that one was Quebec. Don't remember how strong.
    • 16870 posts
    October 24, 2012 5:40 PM PDT
    99Savage wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

Same in Southern NY

Downtown Elmira mostly built late 19th, early 20th centuries

Handsome buildings made of brick & stone but if you look carefully you can see that the walls have cracked and tie-rods have been run thru them to keep them from cracking further.

Had a couple of dish rattlers during the past 35 years. 

I've been to Elmira a few times.

• October 26, 2012 11:49 AM PDT
    I honestly dont think us mid-westerners would really know what to do if we had what you call "dish-rattlers", or even a bigger one. they really dont talk about it at all, We get all the precautions of tornadoes but not earthquakes or obiviously hurricanes either.
  • November 9, 2012 2:54 PM PST
    Earthquake in NE!!? I thought they were just for us west-coasters.
    • 2 posts
    November 9, 2012 11:43 PM PST
    bikersue wrote...
    I honestly dont think us mid-westerners would really know what to do if we had what you call "dish-rattlers", or even a bigger one. they really dont talk about it at all, We get all the precautions of tornadoes but not earthquakes or obiviously hurricanes either.

If you consider Missouri to be in the Midwest get braced
    What in the world is happening in the middle of the United States right now? Thousands of birds are falling dead from the skies, tens of thousands of fish are washing up on shore dead, earthquakes are popping up in weird and unexpected places and people are starting to get really freaked out about all of this. Well, one theory is that the New Madrid fault zone is coming to life. The New Madrid fault zone is six times bigger than the San Andreas fault zone in California and it covers portions of Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi. The biggest earthquakes in the history of the United States were caused by the New Madrid fault. Now there are fears that the New Madrid fault zone could be coming to life again, and if a "killer earthquake" does strike it could change all of our lives forever.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rep/new-madrid-fault.html />