your health and riding with friends

• September 19, 2012 2:30 PM PDT
     I am just curious how many of you when riding together with just one new friend or in new large groups do any of you exchange health concerns.  Lets say  you have diab or get heat strokes easily, or you have a heart condition and your heading out with new friends do you let someone know your situation in case of an emergency on the road.

I know it sounds a little personal but isnt there a bit of responsibility on ones part to let at least one person in the group know of a specific condition. As I see it it could save yours or anothers life. I usually share a condition I have with new riders.

I am curious to hear your comments,

Thanks and safe riding,

GranpaErnie.

• September 19, 2012 3:04 PM PDT
    granpaernie wrote...
     I am just curious how many of you when riding together with just one new friend or in new large groups do any of you exchange health concerns.  Lets say  you have diab or get heat strokes easily, or you have a heart condition and your heading out with new friends do you let someone know your situation in case of an emergency on the road.

I know it sounds a little personal but isnt there a bit of responsibility on ones part to let at least one person in the group know of a specific condition. As I see it it could save yours or anothers life. I usually share a condition I have with new riders.

I am curious to hear your comments,

Thanks and safe riding,

GranpaErnie.

I think that's a great idea, and not just for riding.  When seconds count, making sure the people around you know what's happening can be the difference between life and death.  Good call. 

• 5420 posts
    September 19, 2012 3:15 PM PDT
    Never really thought to ask since I don't have any issues myself. I do know at least for my close friends what to look out for... i.e. one is alergic to bee stings and another is a diabetic who always forgets to eat when he is supposed to.

But a great idea to share this info with people you are riding with. As you said if someone just passes out or can't communicate it would be helpful to not waste time trying to figure out what is wrong.
  • September 19, 2012 4:10 PM PDT
    I've never really thought about it, but I know the health issues of a rider buddy. I think that it's a great idea, and wise to share any potential medical issues one has. We all want to help in an emergency, and knowing the potential need in advance allows us to react in the right way.
    • 1855 posts
    September 20, 2012 12:28 AM PDT
    Yes
    • 846 posts
    September 20, 2012 1:15 AM PDT
    You brought up a good point. I've done just that for years before every White Water rafting trip but never thought of doing it before a ride with a group of friends.Some of my regular riding buddy's know each others issue (none of real importance). But as groups get bigger and some of use get older it a good idea.

One suggestion on how we use to do it so folks didn't have to tell everyone there issues to a group was to point out if you had a issue just take your guide aside and tell them. This way it was between only the ones that needed to know. The same thing could be done by telling the road caption or who ever is leading the trip or the person with the most medical training.
    • 3006 posts
    September 20, 2012 6:46 AM PDT
    Good post

Never actually considered this,yet I have rode with large groups & this topic came up before the ride.If I suffered from some sort of condition I think I would do what Chaz posted,take the ride leader aside n mention it. One of my riding friends I know cant get bee stings,he is allergic to them. Its certainly a valid concern.

stay safe & enjoy the ride
  • September 20, 2012 11:37 AM PDT
    Group I use to ride with would have the last two bikes assigned with riders who either had current CPR training or was currently serving in the medical field.These two always had current medical info and an ICE number for emergency contact person if necessary.We were lucky to have these two, for it seemed at least one was always present on large rides.Thankful we never needed their services or the occasional cage that served as a pack mule for long trips or break downs.
  • September 20, 2012 3:49 PM PDT
    That sounds like a real good idea BlacktopGypsy especially if your all friends or from the same club. And even then when you mix the riders it would be helpful to have your own cpr training.

maybe some one can update me on the law in cal on whether or not one is liable even if they have their cpr cert. I know that was a big issue back in the day. No one wanted to get sued.
    • 846 posts
    September 21, 2012 3:30 AM PDT
    I don't know how it is in Calf. but for all the years I needed to take CPR if you took your course and passed from the Red Cross and followed the procedures of there course you were cover under what was considered the Good Samaritan law and couldn't be sued. This was a big point for me and one reason I never went for a being a EMT at that point I wouldn't be covered under good Samaritan and would have needed insurance to cover may butt.

Check with your local Red Cross as they have the latest information and can tell you were and when classes are. It not all that bad a class. Thankfully in the 23 of rafting and riding I've never had to use it.
  • September 21, 2012 5:44 AM PDT
    Thanks Chaz I guess that would be the best place to check.

• January 26, 2013 3:30 AM PST
    Great idea!
  • January 26, 2013 5:38 PM PST
    I think to bring this up is a great idea. Lot of people with medical conditions out there an never heard anyone bring it up or ask. Here is something I found on line I thought was a good idea, now that granpernie brought this up it fits perfectly http://micapeak.com/misc/Med-ID-tag/
    • 314 posts
    January 26, 2013 10:18 PM PST
    That is a great idea petrusrock
    • 719 posts
    January 26, 2013 11:22 PM PST
    GranpaErnie its your life the question is how long uwant to live????? if i had any of of those problems i would single some 1 out and tell them my issues and c if they will help me if i need it and do it any time u ride with a new group and chaz the cpr class is a great idea and we all should take a class...............
  • January 27, 2013 9:38 AM PST
    As a club we are planning a complete First Aid /CPR class. Because we ride in groups all the time and because you never know. So all of us are taking a class this spring and we are inviting other clubs as well. GranpaErnie you made an awesome point - would have never thought to ask but now I will.
  • January 27, 2013 11:37 AM PST
    We generally just ask how everyone is doing when we stop. Years ago we had a guy come out for a ride with our group and he suffered a light heart attack. We all signed up for a CPR and Emergency first aid course thru the Red Cross, If you have a large group the cost is not that bad. I highly recommend this course!!