My New Driveway

• 1855 posts
    September 13, 2012 7:19 AM PDT

Just a couple of shots of the old and new driveway.  I just couldn't stand it anymore. I've come to the realization that when all is said and done, noone is going to give me what I want for my home and all thoughts of moving to Alabama or N. Carolina need to be put to rest.  And since I really love my home (not necessarily the location) I need to set an example for the neighborhood.  Maybe I'll inspire the neighbors to work a little harder on their 'curb appeal'.  Don't expect them to shell out the dough it cost for my drive but hey, they can carry a bit of guilt after looking at my place.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/bikerdoc/House%20n%20property/101_0094.jpg />

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/bikerdoc/House%20n%20property/100_1855.jpg />

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/bikerdoc/House%20n%20property/100_0333.jpg />

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/bikerdoc/House%20n%20property/100_1852.jpg />

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y275/bikerdoc/House%20n%20property/100_1854.jpg
    • 580 posts
    September 13, 2012 10:25 AM PDT
    Niiiiice (o:
    • 823 posts
    September 13, 2012 10:58 AM PDT
    Looks good!
  • September 13, 2012 11:17 AM PDT
    Thats great, love the yard too.
    • 314 posts
    September 13, 2012 11:21 AM PDT
    looks real nice
  • September 13, 2012 1:23 PM PDT
    OK Jimmyacorn, now you've put some of us to shame! Man, that is a seriously nice looking place you have! Why ever would you want to leave? I wish my yard was so nice-and drive way, mine has chunks of concrete being pushed up by roots!
    Really nice!
    • 9 posts
    September 13, 2012 2:02 PM PDT
    Wow...nice digs.

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • September 13, 2012 3:37 PM PDT
    Nice work buddy I love all the trees and plants
    • 16870 posts
    September 13, 2012 3:49 PM PDT
    Looks good.
    • 19067 posts
    September 15, 2012 12:20 AM PDT
    Great Job Jimmy. Looks great!
    • 3006 posts
    September 15, 2012 5:41 AM PDT
    Sweet& your neighbors are gonna be jealous,wait n see, I recall my first home was a fixer er up.The neighbrs around a lot were border dumpey,I put in some new landscaping painted her,replaced the all the old crappy windows
    and made it look like a real"home" by next spring,it seemed like the whole darn neighborhood were racing to out do the other "sprucing things up" new roofs custom flooring etc etc,its pretty contagious
    • 1855 posts
    September 15, 2012 7:06 AM PDT
    blurplebuzz wrote...
    Sweet& your neighbors are gonna be jealous,wait n see, I recall my first home was a fixer er up.The neighbrs around a lot were border dumpey,I put in some new landscaping painted her,replaced the all the old crappy windows
    and made it look like a real"home" by next spring,it seemed like the whole darn neighborhood were racing to out do the other "sprucing things up" new roofs custom flooring etc etc,its pretty contagious

I sure hope you're right.  After a bit of cleanup and landscaping this a.m. I have to admit the place looks great.  I've owned a number of homes in my day but when I saw this house for sale 10 years ago it immediately felt like I was the one who had to own it.  It's the only place that's actually felt like a home to me.  Thanks to all of you for the kind words.

Peace
    • 1 posts
    September 20, 2012 1:40 PM PDT
    Wow did you do that concrete work your self or hire it out. My driveway took a heck of a hit with the drought here. All kinds of cracks and bows and dips and dives in it. So if you did it your self want a job?
  • September 20, 2012 3:27 PM PDT
    Nice work Jimmy....appears your Dway is at a higher elevation than your garage...thus the drain.....real nice man....makes getting in and outside the garage a piece of cake...~
  • September 20, 2012 3:58 PM PDT
    Very Nice Jimmy, very clean job. Dont to feel bad when you get the first tire scrub mark on it. unless you sealed it.
    Like I should have done.
    • 1855 posts
    September 21, 2012 1:23 AM PDT
    Bitchy wrote...
    Wow did you do that concrete work your self or hire it out. My driveway took a heck of a hit with the drought here. All kinds of cracks and bows and dips and dives in it. So if you did it your self want a job?

A job?  A JOB!!?  That's pretty funny.  I've never loved anything so much as I do retirement. I'm 64, been retired since turning 60 and the thought of going back to work, driving to work, suffering morning traffic, and dealing with dumbasses all day reminds me of how blessed I am. And the time off work enables me to travel more and allowed me to find my Gypsy girl.  There's not a man on earth as blessed as I am. 

Actually I had enough forethought before the so-called crash of '08 to move retirement funds around, allowing me to be able to afford the new drive.  I've done this type of work in construction most of my life so I was very willing to hire someone else to do the work.  Dragging concrete is a real beeetch.   Plus, Gypsy and I don't feel compelled to leave our children what we worked for all our lives.  We're out to enjoy the rest of our lives, going to the grave as broke as when we came into this world.

Thanks for the compliments on it.  My drive is 110' long and 12' wide up to about 25' from the garage to the garage where it becomes 16' wide.  The parking area is 20' x 26'. The guys did a great job.  Of course, they also knew I wasn't ignorant of what it takes.  But I think they would have done a great job even if I wasn't "concrete educated". 

Peace

• 1 posts
    September 21, 2012 9:42 AM PDT
    Damn rub it in that you are retired and living the good life while I am still trying to chase that dollar...;D