K.I. Sawyer AFB

• September 3, 2012 1:04 AM PDT
    I treated myself to a nice, long ride in the Upper Peninsula yesterday.  It was cool when I started out- 46 degrees F- but warmed up nicely later in the morning.  After swinging through Marquette, MI for lunch and a few other things, I headed down M-35 towards Gladstone and home...

Once you're through the little town of Palmer (surrounded by the massive tailing piles of the Empire Mine), you ride a little ways through some of the most beautiful forest in the Upper Peninsula before hitting Gwinn, MI... formerly the home of the 410th Bomb Wing and K. I. Sawyer AFB:

http://www.strategic-air-command.com/bases/K_I_Sawyer_AFB.htm />
    I was just curious if any of the CF community had ever served at K. I. Sawyer?  Unfortunately, the old air base is only a shadow of it's former self.  The UP is a hardscrabble place as it is, and the decommissioning of K. I. Sawyer in 1995 didn't help things any.   Despite the state's best efforts, Sawyer is still pretty much a ghost town.  While various businesses have tried to make a go of it on the former air base grounds, and a few small commuter airlines are still hanging on at the airfield, the place is largely vacant and falling into ruin.  Here's a photo of me standing in front of what I believe is the old Bachelor Officer Quarters... briefly turned into a motel after the base closure.  Now the place is locked up and weeds are sprouting from the crumbling pavement:

• September 3, 2012 2:00 AM PDT
    Sounds like the kind of place that could us a biker ralley once or twice a year to help it get going, or maybe even create a biker friendly community. Glad you enjoyed your ride. "T"
  • September 3, 2012 4:32 AM PDT
    i lived on K.I. for almost 2 1/2 years.loved riding there but the winters were brutal.9 months winter and 3 months of spring Wolfpack i was with the 410th OMS support branch. Hey Tumbles the rally idea sounds good to me.i haven't been back there since 1977.would like to check it out..check out www.upcruising.com there are things to do there
    • 2 posts
    September 3, 2012 10:39 AM PDT
    Went to M.T.U. - Drilled w/ the Navy Reserves in Hancock - Graduated in 71 when KI Sawyer was a going concern.

Bought the Ulysses specifically for Keweenaw riding - Been back a couple times, not disappointed. - Great riding - Nice people - Terrific places to explore, ghosts live everyplace up there.

Don't know much about the fate of KI - The postings on "Craig's List" R&R sound really grim -