Apollo 11

• 601 posts
    August 25, 2012 11:19 AM PDT
    Just heard that Neil Armstrong has died... R.I.P. I actually met the man back in 1979 in Ireland when he was working for Marathon Petroleum on a job I was on. a gentleman ! There goes a man who not only made history, but created it...his remains should be laid on the moon to comemmorate his achievements.
    • 5420 posts
    August 25, 2012 2:34 PM PDT
    Just heard that myself.  R.I.P. to a great man

Brings back lots of memories of that first moon landing.  My dad packed up the family in our brand new 1969 Chevy Impala and we drove from New Jersey to Florida to sleep two nights in the car to watch the launch of Apollo 11.  I was almost 11 years old and thought is was cool, but remember my dad telling us this would go down as one of the greatest moments in history.

Here is a picture I took of the Apollo 11 Lift Off - the little glowing dot is it!!! Didn't have a very good camera - one of those 126mm cartridge cameras. 
    • 16870 posts
    August 25, 2012 4:48 PM PDT
    There's a metal flag beside me
    Someone planted long ago
    Old Glory standing stiffly
    Crimson, white and indigo - indigo

From "Standing On the Moon"
    Words by Robert Hunter; music by Jerry Garcia
    • 19067 posts
    August 26, 2012 12:08 AM PDT
    A true American Hero and National Treasure. RIP Neil Armstrong!
  • August 26, 2012 2:50 AM PDT
    This has been a bad summer for the Icons of my generation. We have lost many. RIP, Neil Armstrong.
    • 1780 posts
    August 26, 2012 3:56 AM PDT
    To one of the True American hero's .....Hat's off and a job well done Neal!
    Dragon
  • August 26, 2012 8:48 AM PDT
    Not just an icon I hear....but a very unasuming person who never bragged of his acheivements and only spoke of them when it was demanded of him, otherwise a very quiet and polite gentleman ..... Thats what we have heard over here in the land of the Limey's...R.I.P.
    • 9 posts
    August 26, 2012 1:49 PM PDT
    My dad, got me out of bed at 11:00PM on the night before my 10th birthday. To see Neil Armstrong walk on the moon and say those famous words..."One small step for man"..."One giant leap, for mankind". I was, and still am in awe of that period in our history. I will forever remember my tenth birthday. RIP NEIL! A true American Hero.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 2685 posts
    August 27, 2012 2:54 AM PDT
    RIP NEIL!

It took about 30 years but this quote from Armageddon sums up what Niel was willing to do.

"You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it? "

Don't think I'd have the guts to do it.
  • August 27, 2012 3:24 AM PDT
    I had the Pleasure of meeting the CEO of General Dynamics back in 1992. His name was Bill Anders who was on the Apollo 8 mission. The other guys at our lunch table and him talked about the plant and other stuff but I asked him politely if he would talk about his time being an astronaut. He did for the next five minutes or so and I can tell you his stories were the most interesting I had ever heard from any boss of mine. I can remember watching the entire launch and mission on tv with my dad. RIP Neil Armstrong you truely were a man whose actions spoke louder than your words.
    • 1855 posts
    August 28, 2012 7:58 AM PDT
    What's amazing is that due to pute malfunction he had to land the module. I wonder if today's space cowboys could do that after being so dependent on todays technology. Ya know, there is more technology in todays common cell phones that there was for the Apollo mission. Astounding, eh?

Peace
    • 544 posts
    August 28, 2012 9:09 AM PDT
    Yep, another great one passed on. Hats off to Neil Armstrong, an american icon.