Welfare check

• July 4, 2012 11:14 AM PDT
    Heading out west after work tomorrow. My uncle is having surgery on his foot on friday at the VA Hospital in Sturgis. After that is over I will be heading up north a ways to visit my friends and favorite riding buddy. Should end up at about 900-1000 miles for the weekend. There are so many fire burning in the hills, I REALLY hope that the rally turns out without any problems. Even the praire fires have been horrendous. Have fun everyone as I will be in the wind, enjoying the scenery and ride.
  • July 4, 2012 3:14 PM PDT
    Fires in Arkansas too. I really feel for Colorado, and places where animals are dying, and people are losing their homes in these fires.
    • 19067 posts
    July 5, 2012 1:11 AM PDT
    There are fires in Eastern WY, not far from the Black Hills, and I hear some have moved into SD.
    • 467 posts
    July 5, 2012 3:28 AM PDT
    There are several fires going on in this area, but so far none have altered traffic or a lot of activites (if you stay on paved roads). There is a large on outside of Broadus, MT. Another outside of Spearfish, SD. A small one in the hills between Keyhole State Park and Cook Lake off of I90. A large one that's better than 60% contained East of Buffalo, WY off of I90. Another large one that is about 40% contained between Hot Springs and Edgemont, SD. A really large one that covers areas between Hwy 16 to Hwy 585 to Hwy 85 in a large triangle that is over 56,000 acres but is 40% contained today. Those are just the ones that are immediate to me and my area, but there are more! There are also a couple that are now "contained", but still hot.
    • 844 posts
    July 5, 2012 4:16 AM PDT
    ya'll be sure to stay safe!
  • July 5, 2012 5:07 AM PDT
    Yeah I myself am a bit concerned about the trip to Sturgis this year but it seems like EVERY year when I ride to Sturgis there is some sort of wild fire going... I think 2000 was the worst! Smoke across the road and fire coming down the sides of the mounts on I-90! Damn near choked to death!
    • 467 posts
    July 5, 2012 6:00 AM PDT
    Yeah they seem to be all around me this year. The oil creek one came within 3 miles of my house, but has since moved on north. As long as the wind direction doesn't change--I'll be good. Sturgis is still pretty much untouched by fire, most everything is to the west of them by a pretty good distance. But I25, I90, Hwy 85 and 16 are all pretty smoky still.
  • July 5, 2012 6:25 AM PDT
    My route that I will be taking this year will be right in my path, which is par for the course! LOL
    • 467 posts
    July 5, 2012 6:55 AM PDT
    Barring any new fires, they all should be pretty cleaned up in the next week or so. You may get to see some scorched countryside, but not a lot of it is visible from the road. I avoid I25 anyway just because I find it boring. I would rather take Hwy 85 north than take the interstate any day.
  • July 8, 2012 12:27 PM PDT
    Uncle is fine and dandy. About 800 miles this weekend. Got 51mpg on one leg of the ride.
    • 1855 posts
    July 8, 2012 1:11 PM PDT
    Glad to hear he's doing well. MPG? The altitude does wonders with EFI
    • 467 posts
    July 9, 2012 2:21 AM PDT
    Glad to hear all is well. Things are looking up out here as well. Most all fires are either out or 70% or more contained.