Question for you Military folks out there?????

• June 22, 2012 6:10 AM PDT
    Question for ya!

I have requested my father's medals he received while he served in the Army during the Korean War. According to the notice I received I will be receiving these very soon.

Unforunately his original medals were stolen, but that's okay I am getting replacements.

He received the Bronze Star Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korean Service medal w/3 bronze service stars and United Nations service Medal. Yes I am a little proud!!!!

My question is this: Me being his oldest child, would it be ethical or unethical to wear these on my leathers in honor of him. I would never want to do anything that would disrespect his memory or our Military.

Please help me here!

Ride Safe & Take Care!

TD
  • June 22, 2012 6:19 AM PDT
    DO NOT WEAR MEDALS you yourself did NOT earn...
    Instead get a patch that states "I love my Veteran" or something to that effect.
    • 5420 posts
    June 22, 2012 6:20 AM PDT
    I'm sure you could make a nice framed memorial with a photo of your father and the medals to hang on your wall.
  • June 22, 2012 6:27 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    I'm sure you could make a nice framed memorial with a photo of your father and the medals to hang on your wall.

Yup that would be perfect and better yet a nice shadow box!

• 834 posts
    June 22, 2012 6:31 AM PDT

• June 22, 2012 6:42 AM PDT
    Thank you, that is what I thought. But was just told I could get small minature medals to wear in honor of my father.

Lucky, Black9, I was already planning on doing a shodow box!

I would never want to do anything that would lead people to believe that I earned those medals. My Father did, and am very proud of that fact!

Thanks again, you guys rock!

TD
  • June 22, 2012 6:42 AM PDT

• June 22, 2012 6:43 AM PDT
    AZRider that is what I had in mind!
    • 19067 posts
    June 22, 2012 10:08 AM PDT
    Preaching to the choir and a bit too late but, do not wear a medal you have not earned. Although I do wear my father's WWII purple heart lapel pin (not the actual medal or ribbon) on my 'rag' (that is a 'cut' for you left coasters) in honor of his and all WWII veterans service.
    • 1780 posts
    June 22, 2012 2:21 PM PDT
    I'm rolling with Black 9 on this one. In my opinion (and of course opinion's are like A Holes everybody has one) I don't even think someone should even wear a Special Forces, Delta Force, NavySeals...etc T- shirt or hat unless they were a member of such a elite Group!
    Also FyI Tectnally if you wear a hat or T Shirt with ATF...or other like letters on them ...You are Impersonating a Fed.
    Agent!

Last year I worked a beer booth at a Gay Holliween party (FYI ...that booth sold $32,000.00 in beer that night , and all the cash was in a Tupperware container and that was my job to ensure it was all there at the end of the night) At this party I saw two or three people dressed up like Police and there Gun Props looked so real I had to inspect them. Then I told them because they had the letters POLICE on there back they were breaking the law.

• 823 posts
    June 22, 2012 2:25 PM PDT
    Black9 wrote...
    DO NOT WEAR MEDALS you yourself did NOT earn...
    Instead get a patch that states "I love my Veteran" or something to that effect.

• June 23, 2012 12:46 AM PDT
    I have a patch I personally wear that says "ARMY BRAT" In honor of my dad's service.
  • June 23, 2012 1:10 AM PDT

Excellent Question Teardrops.....

Excellently Answered Guys.....

It would be the same answer to someone from over here too.....

RESPECT, To All Who Have Served, To All Serving, To All Who Are Yet To Serve on BOTH Sides of the Pond.....

RESPECT ... Jetman...