National Review looks at bikers

• 2 posts
    June 13, 2012 1:05 PM PDT
     Been riding for about 50 years & started subscribing to the dead tree version of “National Review” about 20 years ago. Never thought about the both of them at the same time but they came thru.

Full article here:    http://www.nationalreview.com/nrd/articles/295966/right-turn-open-road?pg=1  style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: 115%; ">

Motorcycles have long been associated both with America’s harder edge and with liberty itself. It is no accident that, in The Great Escape, Steve McQueen rides away from tyranny and toward freedom on the back of a Triumph two-wheeler, but one also gets the impression that if Satan were to use earthly forms of transport to deliver his seductions, he, too, would be carried along the highways and byways on the back of a chopper. .   .   .   . Bikers thus inspire mixed reactions in the public’s imagination, and it is maybe inevitable that even those who feel positive toward them tend also to perceive their culture as being emblematic of an unfortunate American tendency to metamorphose liberty into license and make fiends of the free.

.   .   .   .   truth does not always reign in the court of public opinion, and the bad-boy image has stuck, tarnishing all with the transgressions of a few. This stubborn perception does a disservice to what is actually a remarkably conservative and deeply patriotic group.

They’re religious, too. Daytona Beach is filled with churches, and on weekends during the rally the churches are filled with bikers. Here too — giant signs make it abundantly clear — they are “welcome.”    .   .   .   .   Despite their menacing appearances, bikers are a surprisingly pious bunch, and Christian clubs proliferate among them.  .   .   .   .    In Daytona Beach, they have come to the right place — there are 246 churches in a city of only 60,000 people, and while the festival is on, attendance rises dramatically.

Not all the bikers at the rally carry slogans on their clothes and motorcycles, but those who do promote overwhelmingly conservative sentiments. Many fly American flags and exhibit slogans about freedom and the open road.    .   .   .   .    There are bumper stickers that simply read “God and Country,” or “It’s Time for Another Tea Party,” or “Helmet Laws Suck: Let Those Who Ride, Decide.” About the only arguably liberal cause I see endorsed in my three days among them is the legalization of marijuana, which National Review has also long supported.

.   .   .   .   — bikers tend to take positions rather than endorse candidates and, more than anything, seem fed up with the little things: with mandatory-helmet laws, interference with gun rights, and incessant nannying about food and drink and light bulbs. They are weary of being lectured about the environment and burdened with endless mandates and taxes. One festival-goer describes the current climate as being like “having your mother constantly calling you to check whether you’ve eaten your f***ing vegetables.”

.   .   .   .   .   They mistrust rules and reject the supposedly superior wisdom of others. Ruggedly individual, they are the new cowboys — the tattooed pastors of America’s iron horses in an era in which trains have lost their romance and cars all look the same, and theirs is a simple refrain: Leave Me Alone.

.   .   .   .   . Personal transport has always been a redoubt of freedom — for good and for ill — but biking is particularly so. Although theirs is an inherently solo enterprise, bikers look out for one another; but they do not need to be instructed to do so, and some I speak to wonder out loud “what the hell is wrong with people” who need to be commanded to help

That is probably true, but the sentiment is disingenuous: There demonstrably is such a thing as an average biker. The gathering overwhelmingly consists of white, middle-aged men   .   .   .   .   — who enjoy both sufficient income and sufficient free time to sustain an expensive and time-consuming hobby. The few under-forties who attend Bike Week appear on the non-American bikes — “Jap bikes,” they are called by the Harley-Davidson crowd — and largely keep themselves to themselves. (They better resemble the cast of Jersey Shore than the Hells Angels and stick out like sore thumbs in the sea of leather and tattoos.)  .   .   .   .

The ranks are disproportionately filled with professionals, ex-military types, and retirees. The average age of a Harley owner is 47, and his median household income is $83,000 — well above the national median. Moreover, the income and age brackets are both rising: A recent study commissioned by Harley-Davidson showed that in 1987 half of all Harley riders were under age 35 and that their average household income was $38,000. If the trend continues, by 2035 the average biker will be receiving Social Security checks. In fact, many attendees already do. I meet a group of retirees from Wisconsin — all Vietnam vets — who have ridden down to Florida together. They plan to attend the entire festival. All in all, their time commitment is the best part of a month.

By and large, bikers such as the Wisconsin nine are more likely to take part in groups such as the Patriot Guard Riders, which was formed in 2005 in response to the execrable Westboro Baptist Church’s picketing of the funerals of fallen soldiers. The Patriot Guard comprises various existing clubs, including military groups such as the In Country Vets Motorcycle Club, the Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association, the American Legion Riders, and Rolling Thunder, in addition to a 20,000-strong law-enforcement group called the Blue Knights, and the stalwart Christian Motorcycle Association. Its stated mission is to “show . . . sincere respect for our fallen heroes, their families, and their communities” and to “shield the mourning family and their friends from interruptions created by any protestor or group of protestors,” and the group’s members, its website notes, have “one thing in common besides motorcycles,” that being “an unwavering respect for those who risk their very lives for America’s freedom and security.”

Indeed, if there is one unifying sentiment among the people I have come across, it is love of country. It is profoundly important to most that Harley-Davidson is an American brand, and rare to see a biker without at least one American flag on his clothes or his bikes — often on both. They constitute a legion of volunteers on wheels, representing — in sundry ways, and in the pursuit of various good ends — the “vast number of voluntary associations” of which Tocqueville spoke so warmly. They make their cases in rough language, and they go about their business ostentatiously; but their unifying cause is freedom and their sworn allegiance is to America — and, with this in mind, we might well agree with the ubiquitous signs around Daytona Beach: Bikers Welcome Here

• 16870 posts
    June 13, 2012 1:24 PM PDT
    Cool
  • June 13, 2012 5:25 PM PDT
    It'smy guess that the non-riding public,which by far outnumber us, are mostly influenced in their opinions by the media, movies, TV, etc. Bikers are like most of America's population. Well over 95% of us are law abiding, and will lend a helping hand to someone in need around us.

We are who we are. I've noticed that Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and others are selling a lot of scooters. Honda built an empire doing that and getting them on full fledged motorcycles after a while. The future of what we do depends on the numbers of young people who take up motorcycling. I'm guessing that biking will be around for a long, long time.
    • 19067 posts
    June 13, 2012 11:28 PM PDT
    Bikers Welcome Here!

Once again great find and post Savage.
    • 80 posts
    June 14, 2012 1:01 AM PDT
    Accurate and excellent post. In my day there were less than few graybeards seen on bikes, let alone on HDs. Now I number in the old man category, but have not lost my ability to enjoy the ride anywhere.
  • June 14, 2012 1:16 AM PDT
    Good read for sure!
    • 658 posts
    June 14, 2012 1:54 AM PDT
    Thanks Savage! Great post, glad you shared it.
  • June 14, 2012 2:16 AM PDT
    Great Post.
    A great read.
  • June 14, 2012 3:00 AM PDT
    What I think is awesome is they mentioned my group the Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association!
    • 3006 posts
    June 14, 2012 2:53 PM PDT
    Interesting read, thank you for sharing this
    I have been riding my American made "Jap" bike for ovr ten years now & I never find any Harley riders who turn their nose up at me, if they have I never noticed it? Besides, people who care what brand I ride dont matter, and those who do matter to me dont care what I ride,only that I love to ride & they respect that !!!
    While I agree with some of the generalizations in that piece, I detest generalizations in just abt any context. For example,was having lunch up at Alices Restaurant in Woodside Ca, fellow pulls up on the baddest ass chopper I seen in a long time, pulls off his fullface & surprise he is american of asian background,and after chattin a bit come to find out he built the bike himself.He was from the Los Angeles area & had always wanted to see Alice's in person.
    On a typical day up at Alices restaurant,typical is abt the last thing your gonna find..what you will find are riders from all over the planet,in every shape n size,and ethnicitys from every corner of the world. The greatest common denominator is our love for two wheels n a healthy respect for anyone who shares that belief.
    • 9 posts
    June 14, 2012 5:15 PM PDT
    Now...how to we get this info out to the GP. Sure, that's an AWESOME read, but I'm bettin' that most serious rider's, Harley's AND otherwise, who've been around a while, already know this. For my part, I think I'm goin' to C&P this into the note section on my "other social network". I have a lot of non-ridin' friends also, and Imma thinkin' there may be a few who'd be interested in readin' that. I'm asked quite a bit, "why do you love motorcycles so much"? You mean aside from the "charge" I get when I ride? I'll tell ya why in a nutshell. It's the people,
    my friend, the people.

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • June 15, 2012 3:48 AM PDT
    Long trips are my therapy! I don't have the labors of the day weighing down on me, I don't have people needing anything from (cept maybe to slow down). I do all my best thinking when I ride! I have a chance to analyze all the thought rolling around in my head, time to process and decompress. This probably why I will never have a radio hanging on my bike or wear head phones. If I want to hear music I have a huge libarry in my head to call upon and I can sing as loud as I want and no one will be able to hear me. THIS is why you never see motorcycles parked outside of a shrink's office!