Have you ridden the Alaska Canada Highway?

• 19067 posts
    June 4, 2012 12:20 PM PDT
    Rex the Road Dog and his namesake are seriously thinking of riding the Alaska Canada Highway. We hope to do this in the summer of '13. As some of you know Rex rode in all 48 states (in one run) back in '09. Now we want to add the 49th. This ride will most likely be tied to a charity event for Make-A-Wish.

The reason for this forum post is to get as much info as I can from people that have traveled before me, thereby avoiding some of the pitfalls.

If you have done this tell us about it. And if you know of some good printed or web info please let us know.
    • 16870 posts
    June 5, 2012 6:37 AM PDT
    Never have, but it's on my list.
    • 9 posts
    June 5, 2012 10:06 AM PDT
    My ex made that ride a few years back. And as long as you're going in good weather, you should have a scenic and "uneventful" trip. Pack for mechanical, contingencies, however, as it's a long way between some stops. Always make sure your phones are charged! Have fun! That's some beautiful country.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 0 posts
    June 5, 2012 10:59 AM PDT
    The road is in decent shape, but you have to go only in the summer from memorial day to labor day. Any later and everything is closing up for the winter. Gas stops are not too bad. We never went beyond 100 miles between stops, but we carried an extra gallon to be sure. You have to be self reliant, help can be a couple of days away and expensive to get and cell signal is very spotty. More so on the Cassiar Hwy than the Alcan. It is a great trip. You will have fun.

Think seriously about the Cassiar hwy at least one way while you are going. Rather than the alcan both ways.
    And be sure to stop by Banff to sight see a bit. Lots to see in the area.

Lots of animals to see, but be aware to pull beyond them before stopping to watch them. If a bear is coming at you, you are not going to want to do a u-turn. Bear alley into Hyder is great if you get into the area.
    • 19067 posts
    June 6, 2012 12:33 AM PDT
    John, come on along
    Tweek and GaryTH, thanks for the info, I will put it to good use.