Doc Watson 1923-2012, RIP

• 2 posts
    June 1, 2012 12:07 PM PDT
    All my traveling companions are going 
    Doc Watson, Blind Guitar Wizard Who Influenced Generations, Dies at 89
    Doc Watson, the guitarist and folk singer whose flat-picking style elevated the acoustic guitar to solo status in bluegrass and country music, and whose interpretations of traditional American music profoundly influenced generations of folk and rock guitarists, died on Tuesday in Winston-Salem, N.C. He was 89.
    “He is single-handedly responsible for the extraordinary increase in acoustic flat-picking and fngerpicking guitar performance,” said Ralph Rinzler, the folklorist who discovered Mr. Watson in 1960. “His flat-picking style has no precedent in earlier country music history.”

• 1855 posts
    June 1, 2012 12:39 PM PDT
    Born of a clan of West Virginia coal miners I'm a huge Doc Watson fan. I started playin' bluegrass a couple of decades ago (too late actually) and I'm amazed and how much music Doc got out of his thumb and first finger picking. Listen to his stuff; he's using only his thumb and first finger. Incredible.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyQOCJ4SUSk /> Join your son Doc. He's flat pickin' in Bluegrass Heaven

Peace
  • June 1, 2012 2:57 PM PDT
    I play guitar and started way to late as well. Love great pickers, whatever the genre. Guys like Doc inspired one of my all time favorite acoustic licks, "Wanted: Dead or Alive" written and performed by Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi. This wasn't Doc's style of music per se, but making the acoustic sound "oh so good" was something he handed down.
    • 7 posts
    June 2, 2012 6:12 AM PDT
    Ooph! Say it ain't so :`(
    • 19067 posts
    June 2, 2012 6:18 AM PDT
    We've lost another pioneer. And one helluva picker.