Sad but true.

• May 31, 2012 9:07 PM PDT
    OK, I've pulled down the blind and locked the office door, right, big breath, you'll have to give me a few lines here to spit this out, kind of feel like a kid in front of the Principle, feel like I'm tearing open the front of my shirt with my bare hands, and as this community hears the buttons bouncing off the walls I (only out of curiocity) briefly get your attention...I've just exchanged my dearly loved Harley Davidson Road King for a BMW 1600 GT there I said it, and I can feel your eyes, incredulous, burning holes through the back of my screen. I assure you it is painful for me to say and think about, and I'm still at the stage where I'm having to justify this decision to myself. Appart from losing the bike, it's (as you all know) the loss of friends and the whole Harley scene really. My intention was always to keep the Harley and get a bike to travel two-up distance through Europe on retirement, but alas (like many) finances were such that the numbers didn't work out, and for now something had to go. Although I am hoping in the future things will be better, and I've promised to find the mighty Bucephalus one day in the future and bring him home.

Off to Greece tomorrow, I hope the next time I log on a boxing glove on a spring doesn't come out of the screen!!!  
  • May 31, 2012 11:57 PM PDT
    I think I would rather be DEAD. Sorry for your loss.
    • 19067 posts
    June 1, 2012 12:01 AM PDT
    Sorry to hear this. My Condolences. HA to each their own. Ride whatever you want.
  • June 1, 2012 12:19 AM PDT
    Two wheels or three, the make doesn't matter. Ride safe
    • 1855 posts
    June 1, 2012 12:43 AM PDT
    Show us a pic the next time logging in. So, here's the thing (yes, some of you may be offended); it's not like you're the actual "majority" of Harley owners in this country who only tool around town after work or attend poker runs/rallys/fund-raisers on the week-ends. However much you loved your HD, the reliability of BMW motorcycles for touring is unquestionable, as is the Moto Guzzi. I've ridden the BMW and it's a comfortable bike to tour on. It's one of the smoothest bikes I've ever ridden and handles like a sportsbike. I've often thought of buying one if I could afford to do so and keep my HD. In keeping with your sadness of losing your HD however, you should feel extremely confident that you are riding a mechanical marvel.

Peace
  • June 1, 2012 12:51 AM PDT
    Congratulations on the new ride, man you ride what you ride it makes no difference to me, as long as you love it that's all that matters. If ya loose friends over a brand then they weren't real friends anywhy so who cares. If folks have any thing to say about it its not their business after all your still the same person, still a biker, still enjoying the ride so f'em is what I say. have a great one "T"
  • June 1, 2012 1:03 AM PDT
    I hear that BMW is awesome. If I had the funds I'd have a HD and a sports touring rig, uhm, and a dual sport dirt street thing, uhm, a sport bike...I just enjoy what I've got and ride on ^5
    • 9 posts
    June 1, 2012 1:18 AM PDT
    Hey John...
    Here's the thing, don't ever even give it a second thought. You ride what you decide to ride. K? What I don't understand sometimes, is that some folks, will react like it's some kind of betrayal. Wow, for real? The way I look at it, is that your knee's, are in the breeze! And I KNOW it hurt to give up the Harley. Been there, done that. At least you have SOMETHING to ride! And by the sounds of it, and the trip that you're on, maybe the Beemer, is
    way better suited, huh? And with 1600 cc's, I don't imagine, you're lamenting any power.
    So smile, brother! Just don't get one of those shit eatin' grins...bugs can get in that way...lmao

Ride Free (on Whatever you want...)
    Tweek
    • 823 posts
    June 1, 2012 2:44 AM PDT
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    Show us a pic the next time logging in. So, here's the thing (yes, some of you may be offended); it's not like you're the actual "majority" of Harley owners in this country who only tool around town after work or attend poker runs/rallys/fund-raisers on the week-ends. However much you loved your HD, the reliability of BMW motorcycles for touring is unquestionable, as is the Moto Guzzi. I've ridden the BMW and it's a comfortable bike to tour on. It's one of the smoothest bikes I've ever ridden and handles like a sportsbike. I've often thought of buying one if I could afford to do so and keep my HD. In keeping with your sadness of losing your HD however, you should feel extremely confident that you are riding a mechanical marvel.

Peace

What he said!

• 395 posts
    June 1, 2012 3:11 AM PDT
    wheels are wheels...and if it's better suited to the journey..all the better...real biker friends don't care what your riding....it's all about the wind and the road...the road doesn't care what your sitting on...as long as you ride.take some pic's for us brother...never been over there...would love to see it, even if it's from your eyes....safe travels.
    • 5420 posts
    June 1, 2012 4:53 AM PDT
    Well the last I checked the BMW had two wheels and you still have wind in your face.

Just please don't tell me you traded in your leather jacket for a one-piece jump suit :-)
    • 19067 posts
    June 2, 2012 6:22 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Well the last I checked the BMW had two wheels and you still have wind in your face.

Just please don't tell me you traded in your leather jacket for a one-piece jump suit :-)

Isn't that a law? All beemer riders HAVE to wear it!

• June 2, 2012 7:03 AM PDT
    A bad day on two wheels, is still better than a good day anywhere else.
    • 0 posts
    June 2, 2012 8:00 AM PDT
    Any ride is better than no ride, doesn't matter as long as you are happy. Do what makes "you" happy and not anyone else. (unless there's a better half, then you are either both happy or both miserable,lol). Like said : if people are your friends for what brand you ride, then they are not real friends! Have a blast on that new bike, be proud, & B-Safe.
  • June 2, 2012 9:38 AM PDT
    Sorry to hear you lost your dear friend in the transition....I'm happy you have a new bike.Times are tough, and if somebody has something to say about your ride, just tell them they can pay your bills and you 'll ride whatever they park in your garage! Bet that shuts'em up.
  • June 2, 2012 2:11 PM PDT
      with everyone wheels are wheels
  • June 2, 2012 4:08 PM PDT
    I don't think that's such a crazy idea. I've toyed with the idea of selling my Fat Boy for a R 1200 GS, myself. I really like the idea of an on/off-road touring bike, especially since I spend a lot of time riding in the Upper Peninsula with all it's seasonal roads. The Fat Boy just ain't suited for that kind of thing. Plus, frankly I'm getting a bit tired of the whole Harley-Davidson culture thing, which can get damn near cultish at times.

I don't actually think it will happen since I love the way the Fat Boy rides, and I don't think I could part with it when push comes to shove. But if I could afford a second bike, there's no doubt in my mind it would be the R 1200 GS.
  • June 2, 2012 4:47 PM PDT
    I do ride a Harley, But I'll ride with anyone. It don't matter what you ride as long as you like it.

P.S. I can't stand these idiots that say it's Harley or nothing < "go ahead get pissed I don't give a damn"
    • 3006 posts
    June 3, 2012 12:42 PM PDT
    Its hard to part ways w/ a good bike,dont matter the brand ! : )

Good luck with the new ride,and the touring in europe,sounds like a lot of fun !!!

Let us know how it goes !!!
    • 2 posts
    June 4, 2012 1:00 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...

Cheeze, somebody wearing a**less chaps ragging on somebody wearing one piece leathers

• June 12, 2012 9:07 AM PDT
    Congrats on the new bike. Just as long as you are riding, who cares what the logo on the tank is.