test ride without stolen

• May 19, 2012 5:49 AM PDT
    Looking for any suggesdtions about how I can have someone test ride my bike without taking off and stealing it?
    • 2 posts
    May 19, 2012 5:59 AM PDT
    Easy, they put the cash in your hand, you hand them the key, when they bring it back undamaged you negotiate on the price.
  • May 19, 2012 9:13 AM PDT
    have them give you the keys to their vehicle that they came in or cash in hand
    • 9 posts
    May 19, 2012 9:16 AM PDT
    Tell 'em it's lo-jacked, AND tell 'em you have a remote detonator. And give them a time limit on the test ride...
    HINT: Wear a side-arm, when the "test-ridee" shows up...lmao. NO, SERIOUSLY...

Ride Free (but not that free)
    Tweek
    • 1161 posts
    May 19, 2012 2:13 PM PDT
    I have seen "friends" follow the test rider it seamed to work as well.
  • May 19, 2012 2:56 PM PDT
    I like 99Savage's idea, and if possible, Seakers having a friend to follow is an excellent idea. I've got a sport looking bike and when I go to sell it I don't want some kid coming for a free "gut it out" and bring it back saying, "No thanks!"
  • May 19, 2012 9:20 PM PDT
    I have sold lots of bikes and no one ever gets a test ride without giving me the full price in cash and I also have them sign a waiver about my liability in case they crash during their ride. If they come back and they don't want to purchase the bike then I simply hand them their cash back no worries. I might also check with your insurance agent to see if test rides are covered under your policy.
    • 19067 posts
    May 20, 2012 1:10 AM PDT
    Like Savage said. No cash, no test ride, PERIOD! In fact I would seriously doubt if I would let them test ride at all.
    • 5420 posts
    May 20, 2012 4:13 AM PDT
    Yep, I agree the best way is to get the total cash for the bike and relief from liability. Basically you are selling them the bike and letting them ride it for a half hour or so with the option to return it for a full refund if they don't like something about how it rides. Providing it is in exactly the same condition it let in.

This will also weed out the joy riders and only a serious buyer will get to ride it.
  • May 20, 2012 8:12 AM PDT
    Cash in hand.....I vote for that one.....
    Ride on their insurance, not yours....

• May 20, 2012 9:05 AM PDT
    Yup cash in hand ,proof of insurance and whatever they showed up in