For all my friends gettin' their endorsements...

• 9 posts
    April 26, 2012 2:10 AM PDT

GO FOR IT!!!  
    And Congratulations to those who've passed the rider's course, and are now certified.  (You were already certifiable...lol)

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • April 27, 2012 2:23 AM PDT
    I QUALIFY....in the certifiable category.......that's the reason I took the day off,not only for my sake but those that might have to deal with me.
  • April 27, 2012 2:48 AM PDT
    I hope to "join" the elite group next summerI am already certifiable!
    • 395 posts
    April 27, 2012 3:01 AM PDT
    thanks my friend.....i'm ready.....but really appreciate the vote of confidence!!!!!
  • April 27, 2012 7:27 PM PDT
    Well, it was my wife that encouraged me to take the BRC at the tender age of 50 (almost 51). It was a little intimidating considering until then, I did not ride. Day 2 of the course was when it started clicking for me. I passed the written exam and somehow passed the skills test. A few weeks later I picked up my bike for a great price. 1800cc's was a little more than I wanted but after a couple weeks I had gained enough confidence to feel comfortable on her.

I look back on it now as a 35 year old fantasy come true. I absolutely love riding. I'm planning my first actual road-trip from South Mississippi to New York to visit my daughter, when I finish this deployment.

So for all of you that have the "desire" but haven't taken the plunge yet...Go for it! I know I'm thrilled I did! My only regret is I didn’t do it sooner. I feel like I have a lot of riding to catch-up on.

Take care!
    MSG Bigg
  • April 28, 2012 12:30 AM PDT
    MSGBIGG69 wrote...
    Well, it was my wife that encouraged me to take the BRC at the tender age of 50 (almost 51). It was a little intimidating considering until then, I did not ride. Day 2 of the course was when it started clicking for me. I passed the written exam and somehow passed the skills test. A few weeks later I picked up my bike for a great price. 1800cc's was a little more than I wanted but after a couple weeks I had gained enough confidence to feel comfortable on her.

I look back on it now as a 35 year old fantasy come true. I absolutely love riding. I'm planning my first actual road-trip from South Mississippi to New York to visit my daughter, when I finish this deployment.

So for all of you that have the "desire" but haven't taken the plunge yet...Go for it! I know I'm thrilled I did! My only regret is I didn’t do it sooner. I feel like I have a lot of riding to catch-up on.

Take care!
    MSG Bigg

I might throw in a plug here for the Advanced Rider Course as well.  You cover much of the same material as in the BRC, but with your own bike. I just took it last weekend, had a great time with it, and learned a few things too.  It's one thing to make tight turns in the "box" with a little 200 cc bike, but doing it with your own cruiser is a slightly different story

• 81 posts
    April 28, 2012 1:59 AM PDT
    I have ridden off and on over the years(since I was 16) but never owned my own bike. Last year in Sept. I bought my first and decided to take the BRC to get my endorsement at 47. Best weekend and money ever spent.I have since traded my Vstar off on the bike I have wanted for over 20 years (yep its a Harley) and am wanting to do the Advanced course.
  • April 28, 2012 4:24 AM PDT
    Wolf & Mike,

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll have to take a refresher at a minimum in order to ride "on post" since I've been gone for more than 180 days. I want to take the Advanced course anyway. I know the BRC saved my butt a few times already.

MSG Bigg
    • 9 posts
    April 28, 2012 11:08 PM PDT
    It's old news for most here on Cyclefish, but I too, am going to take the Advanced Rider Course, just as soon as I get my "new wheels". The fact that I haven't had a bike in a while, and the fact that there's so much more to be aware of when you ride, only makes it that much more important to hone the skills. And being able to do it, on the bike you will be riding? Priceless. I encourage all to take that course. Couple of bucks, seems like chumpchange when you consider the life you could be saving...IS YOUR OWN.

Ride Free
    Tweek