Where to live

• 1855 posts
    March 23, 2012 9:59 AM PDT
    SIL, a wounded Iraqi war vet has been in rehab and going to school for a number of years.  He finally got his first job offer (he's IT) with a government contractor working out of D.C.  With a wife and 4 kids he's going to want to find a nice place to move his family. D.C. is out of the question  I'm thinking north of D.C. in Md for starters.  Anyone got any thoughts, suggestions, etc?   I thought also that Front Royal, Va. area would be nice.  I know it's about an hour plus commute but still a straight shot on I-66.

Thanks

Peace
    • 2 posts
    March 23, 2012 12:36 PM PDT
    By my lights THERE IS NO GREAT PLACE TO LIVE AROUND THERE.
    Visit the VA area south of the city a lot - Traffic is miserable at any time of the day - Unless you want to schlep into the city to visit the museums there is nothing to do - The price of housing is not as breathtaking as it was but is still hi
    True story, when my son bought his house his mother had gangs & gangs of questions until in frustration he said "What do you want for a quarter million, a lawn & a garage?"
    On the plus side the government is the only growth industry left and there are A LOT of activities for children.
    • 567 posts
    March 23, 2012 2:09 PM PDT
    I'm not totally familiar with the DC area. But I'd recommend someplace where public transit is readily available. There has got to be plenty of "channels" of transportation into DC. No sense beating your own transportation up if you can help it.
  • March 24, 2012 9:35 AM PDT
    I think there are a couple of train lines out of south MD that run into the city, which interconnect. It was a big train depot. We go MD grab the train then hit the subway, for Marches and such on Washington. have a great one! "T"
    • 80 posts
    March 26, 2012 2:03 AM PDT
    I think your war vets family would definitely enjoy the Front Royal area as a more enjoyable place for recreation, homelife and freedom from the insanity of DC. I-66 is easily traveled until you get into the Manassas area and closer to DC. Short of public transportation there is no place close to DC that is not one huge hangup spending large amounts on fuel in traffic. DC has contaminated everything around itself for a hundred miles in any direction.
  • March 26, 2012 2:33 AM PDT
    Here's a good site to take a look at:  www.city-data.com/city/Front-Royal-Virginia.html />
    They also have a forum section where you can ask questions or read from other people who live there: www.city-data.com/forum/virginia/ />
    • 1855 posts
    March 26, 2012 4:43 AM PDT
    Well guess what happened. After being told he had the job and they would be sending him a contract, he instead got an email this a.m. informing him that they've decided not to fill the position. What a crock. Now this crap has happened to him 3 times by different government contractors. First the contractor jumped the gun and didn't get the gov't contract. Second: some Colonel's relative showed up and got the job. Now they've just changed their mind. Well, he'll get by though. He said with VA disability and them paying for school he'll just keep going to school 'till somethin' comes up. But it's still gotta be disheartening to have served your country, been wounded, highly trained and still can't get a job. I mean, that's gottta suck. Sheite makes me even more greatful that I'm retired and don't have to put with that K-rap anymore.
    Thanks for the responses by the way.
    Peace
    • 80 posts
    March 26, 2012 8:44 AM PDT
    Hi Jimmy, Anyone who really believes the US economy is improving is seriously deep in misunderstanding. Sorry to hear about the vet. Once the government has no use for you, they just want you to quietly disappear. Been there and done that. If you ever get out in Virginia, I would like to sit down with you and tip a beer or two.
    • 1855 posts
    March 26, 2012 8:50 AM PDT
    Seawolf wrote...
    Hi Jimmy, Anyone who really believes the US economy is improving is seriously deep in misunderstanding. Sorry to hear about the vet. Once the government has no use for you, they just want you to quietly disappear. Been there and done that. If you ever get out in Virginia, I would like to sit down with you and tip a beer or two.

Will do Seawolf. I do a good deal of riding in Virginia.  AND,  have "uncanny 12 ounce curl abilities"   Turned 64 yesterday so we should have a lot to drink about. 

Peace