Guitarist Ronnie Montrose Dead at 64

• 5420 posts
    March 4, 2012 3:44 AM PST
    Ronnie Montrose, who is best known for his fiery guitar work as a member of the band Montrose, died Saturday. It is believed that the cause of death was prostate cancer, which he had been battling for the past few years.

Born in Denver, Colorado, Montrose got his first break when he was invited to play on Van Morrison's 1971 album, Tupelo Honey. Additional appearances on recordings by Herbie Hancock, Boz Scaggs, and the Edgar Winter Group soon followed before he formed his own band, Montrose, in 1973. In addition to the guitarist, the band consisted of a then-unknown Sammy Hagar on vocals, as well as bassist Bill Church and drummer Denny Carmassi.

###########

This was really a shock because we were looking forward to seeing Ronnie again this year at the Redwood Run in June.  We were lucky enough to see him there last year and even had the pleasure of meeting him.

Rest in Peace Ronnie.  Your contributions to Rock 'n Roll will remain with us forever!

• 5420 posts
    March 4, 2012 4:13 AM PST
    Jeff (HighRisk) & Denise (Deener) with Ronnie at the 2011 Redwood Run...

• 16870 posts
    March 4, 2012 5:32 AM PST
    Unfortunately we "Baby Boomers" aren't getting any younger, and neither are the musicians we enjoyed in our youth.
    On the positive side elevator music has a more familiar tone to it.
    I can see it now, old tattooed leather clad folks exiting the "rest home" with our walkers and mounting our trikes each morning. :-)
    • 5420 posts
    March 4, 2012 7:56 AM PST
    Looks like from what I read sadly enough Ronnie may have taken his own life. Early reports say Ronnie was not dealing with the cancer and treatment well and "Wanted to go out on his terms".
    • 1516 posts
    March 4, 2012 9:40 AM PST
    We all have to live and die in the best way we seem fit. I am sorry for the loss of his health and for the loss of his life. RIP Ronnie, you will be missed by many!
    • 2072 posts
    March 4, 2012 10:17 AM PST
    So sad..... The loss of another great musician. Starting to be too many of these !!!
    • 3006 posts
    March 4, 2012 5:09 PM PST
    My heartfelt condolences go out to his friends & family.His music inspired me and gave me a lot of pleasure at times when the rock n roll world seemed dull & old.I have nearly every record he ever played on,and his guitar solo's were of the highest caliber ever recorded. Gonna miss ya,thanks for all the good tunes Ronnie !!!
  • March 5, 2012 3:22 AM PST
    Prayers to his family, and thanks for all of the great tunes that I still listen to.
  • March 5, 2012 3:42 PM PST
    Lyrics from "Make it Last" on the first Montrose album.

But now I live my life from day to day

'Cuz I wouldn't have it any other way.

Whether I'm twelve or whether I'm sixty-four

I spend my time like there ain't gonna be no more.

RIP Ronnie
    • 834 posts
    March 7, 2012 4:49 AM PST
    What a sad thing... Ronnie always loved life so much. He will be missed!
    • 1364 posts
    March 7, 2012 6:22 AM PST
    Really Sucks, Ronnie was a cool Kat. We were lucky enough to hang with the other members of the band and got to told to Ronnie for a bit. A few months after RWR I got a message from Steve Brown (Ronnies drummer)and we got and see Ronnie play in Seattle and got to hang out with the band again. He will be missed