DAVY JONES DIED!

• 277 posts
    February 29, 2012 4:59 AM PST
    I was just asking Lucky last Sunday, to get us tickets because he was going to be in town.

How very sad.

Davy Jones of the Monkees has died of an apparent heart attack at age 66. The singer – who had been on a solo tour this month - complained of chest pains last evening and was admitted to a hospital this morning in Stuart Florida.

Jones was born in Manchester, England and started acting as a child, though he got his big break in 1965 when he joined The Monkees. The group had a hugely successful television series, and a slew of hit songs in the late 1960s. At their peak in 1967 they sold more records than the Beatles.

Jones played tambourine and was the lead vocalist on "Daydream Believer," "I Wanna Be Free" and many other classics. The group split in 1971, though they reunited many times over the past forty years. They toured last summer for the first time in nearly a decade, but it was called short because of what Monkees guitarist Peter Tork called a "glitch."
    • 5420 posts
    February 29, 2012 5:05 AM PST
    I remember watching their show on Saturday mornings with my sister and haven't thought about them in YEARS.

Then just this Sunday Laura was reading the paper and said the Monkees are playing, you want to go see them?

So sad, because 66 is not that old!!!!
  • February 29, 2012 5:26 AM PST
    Damn it man, now I'm gonna bust out: I'm a Believer and Stepping Stone!
  • February 29, 2012 6:25 AM PST
    and Davy jumped on that "Last Train To Clarksville!"
  • February 29, 2012 7:14 AM PST
    ......and then I saw his face.....Now I'm a BEREAVER!!!
    • 1855 posts
    February 29, 2012 9:21 AM PST
    Pains in the evening? Dies in the hospital next day? I hope he wasn't hangin' around the ER too long? Seems once ya get to the hospital you should be good to go. Worrisome to say the least.
  • February 29, 2012 9:25 AM PST
    Darn, more and more people I grew up with are leaving us.

Rest in Peace Davy
    • 9 posts
    February 29, 2012 10:02 AM PST

Damn.  Another one, huh?  If I didn't feel old enuf, today, this brought it home...

Ride Free 
    Tweek

• 1780 posts
    February 29, 2012 11:51 AM PST
    I remember watching them on TV, and yes it is sad how many of our idols from days past are leaving us!
    Does anyone know where Clarkville is located?
    Dragon
    • 567 posts
    February 29, 2012 11:53 AM PST
    Their show was corny as hell. But I did like their music.
  • February 29, 2012 1:13 PM PST
     ...I remember when I was a kid. ...Id hear my mom from time to time say to my father. ...you,ll never guess who died...

.......we are slowly becomming our parents

........................RIP Davy .... 
    • 1161 posts
    February 29, 2012 2:24 PM PST
    I grew up watching the reruns in the early 80's. Loved the shows ( even though they are very corny now), and loved the music. I always looked for Clarksville after I passed a train station when we drove across the country many a time.
  • February 29, 2012 2:41 PM PST
    Didn't they have a Monkey Mobile? RIP Davy. Hope I die that fast. That long slow death, eeeeeeehhhhhh.
    • 3006 posts
    February 29, 2012 2:54 PM PST
    My condolences to his family,and friends.I am sure he will be sorely missed.I can still recall those days sittin w/family watchin him & the band on tv.Those were the daysloved that show & the music too.Thanks Davey !!!
    • 2072 posts
    March 1, 2012 12:45 AM PST
    Grew up with The Monkey's music and to this day still like it (even have a couple of their CDs !!). 66 used to sound so old but as I QUICKLY approach that age I realize how young it is !! RIP Davey....... You may be gone but your music will live forever in our hearts !!!!
  • March 1, 2012 12:54 AM PST
    I remember them well. The group was ok...they were up against the big boys back then and had a lot of competition (Beatles,Stones,Animals etal). I believe Carol King and Neil Diamond wrote several of their more popular hits.....Sad though in anycase Davy was a pretty good singer and seemed like a nice fella....
    and 66 is NOT that old....RIP Davy ~
  • March 1, 2012 1:11 AM PST
    The day I was born, October 30th 1966 The Last Train to Clarkville was the #1 hit single that day! Also did you know that in 1967 the Monkees sold more records than the Beatles and the Rolling Stones that year? Also when Jimmy Hendrix came back to the states from England they made him the Monkees opening act? Not to mention Davy was a guest star on the Brady Bunch and I wonder if he had the opportunity to say "Marcia Marcia Marcia!"? Sometimes I feel like I need an outlet for all this useless but important information! LOL

RIP Davy Jones!
  • March 1, 2012 1:58 AM PST
    well, let's see....there is Clarksville, TN (home of Ft Campbell and Austin-Peay University) Clarksville, Indiana....Clarksville, MO...to name a few. My guess is the song is about Clarksville, TN....why? Haven't a clue. Just a SWAG!
  • March 1, 2012 2:03 AM PST
    They can do just about anything with people's ashes these days. My grandparents wanted to be mixed so that they could be together forever. I'm sure that they could make Davey's into a rock. Then he really could be a stepping stone. Rest in Peace, Davey.
  • March 1, 2012 2:36 AM PST
    WOW think about that Davy Jones and Jimmy Hendrix together at the same time wonder what that conversation was like. R.I.P. Davy
    • 834 posts
    March 6, 2012 5:15 PM PST
    Wow, I missed this. RIP Davy. You provided lots of great entertainment.
    • 1364 posts
    March 6, 2012 9:49 PM PST
    Denise and I rode down to Richfield Wa and saw the Monkees play last July. Awesome show. They played for 2.5 hours non stop. 3 big screens. one on each side of the stage and the one in the middle was show clips from there T.V. show...  Joey enjoyed the show also.