Tell all your friends we are out there

• February 28, 2012 1:16 AM PST
        Tell all your friends and anyone that can hear your voice to watch out for motorcycles!  I just about got taken out on my way in to work this morning by a driver that didn't see me.  Good brakes and revving my loud ass pipes at the same time saved my ass.  Rubber side down and ride safe, everyone!
    • 395 posts
    February 28, 2012 1:26 AM PST
    glad you made it through...but think you are preaching to the choir here........maybe cycles should all come equipped with those loud ass air horns........hope the trip home is less exciting.......
  • February 28, 2012 1:47 AM PST
    Geeze, around town isn't nearly as bad as going to the trailer weeks.
    Dude the answer is simple, I dumped Texting, don't have internet none of the extras on my phone nothing, I can't text and drive, browse and drive, sent pictures, hell when I drive the phone is off, why? each one of you ask, Cause I ride, and drive and feel I have not right to complain if I do the same things so folks before ya bitch think long and hard, have you texted and driven? maybe browsed for that location while driving? babble away on the phone while driving? really, then get used to being run off the road, as folks get more into their phones, have more appss, anc think higher of phones than real persons this will continue to in crease. I'm a stand up person, so I made my stand. have a great one! "T"
  • February 28, 2012 2:13 AM PST
    "Shiny Up and Rubber Down" Dude.....
  • February 28, 2012 3:14 AM PST
    added air horns after a fun time experance from a few years back. After injurying my Rt Shoulder I was stuck in the office as the file guy for 2 months. Not a good fit for me I am a out side guy. Anyways I was working the 9:00 to 5:00 grind On my ride in I got hammered by slow traffic. So with all the deft of a fat guy stealing cookies I droped a couple of gears pulled thur a few lanes and made off in to the fast lane. {I-5 Freeway headed north near Ft lewis Wa}
    I roll up on the rear bumper of a beat up Ford Excort. I noticed it just becuse it was riding in to lanes at the same time. As I watched the rig I noted it never corected its 2 lane travel. So I really wanted to get a round this person. Sence thay never wigled I decied to come up along side. As I rode up along side the car I noticed the head of the drive was leaned up agenst the window. As I came up so I could see It was a ladie a sleep a bit of droule leaked from the conner of her mouth. I was going to knock on her window but decied not to for fear of scaring the shit out of her. Was going to beep the horn on the hyosung but agin the spector of this women slaming on her brakes or grabing a hand full of wheel swerving scared the stuffings out on me. So I pounded past the little Excort. Once in frount of her. I honked the horn on my bike many times She never moved. I rode a good couple of car leanths in frount of this person for the next 18 miles. As I droped off to the exit I wondered just when would this woman would wake up???
    • 5420 posts
    February 28, 2012 4:37 AM PST
    Problem is I keep telling all my friends, but they all ride so they already know!!!

We need to start telling strangers!!!
    • 9 posts
    February 28, 2012 5:03 AM PST
    One of us or all of us needs to design a righteous bumper sticker, to go with the campaign. And then...git it out there!
    One of my best friends was seriously injured (right leg, broken in three places, compound fractures) by a COP!!!
    She pulled right out in front of him on an E-call. Good Lord Almighty! If even the cops ain't payin' attention, we're in a world of doo-doo! He'll be ok, and the city's gonna pay for his bike and hospital bills (this'll be a life-long limp), but he's alive, and that's all I care about. He asked me Sunday, if I wanted his "slightly damaged" Sportster...I may take him up on that. But I'll need one helluva mechanic.

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • February 28, 2012 5:30 AM PST
    I put up message to all my FB friends to watch out as well, even the ones that don't ride. I think riders pay more attention because we need to. I know I'm more observant when I drive because I ride a lot. Getting the word out can only help us.
    • 58 posts
    February 28, 2012 6:25 AM PST
    Tweek wrote...
    One of us or all of us needs to design a righteous bumper sticker, to go with the campaign. And then...git it out there!
    One of my best friends was seriously injured (right leg, broken in three places, compound fractures) by a COP!!!
    She pulled right out in front of him on an E-call. Good Lord Almighty! If even the cops ain't payin' attention, we're in a world of doo-doo! He'll be ok, and the city's gonna pay for his bike and hospital bills (this'll be a life-long limp), but he's alive, and that's all I care about. He asked me Sunday, if I wanted his "slightly damaged" Sportster...I may take him up on that. But I'll need one helluva mechanic.

Ride Free
    Tweek

Sounds like a heck of an opportunity for a 2fer..... a new bike for you and some new skills to match..

• February 28, 2012 7:56 AM PST
    Here in washington ABATE took up the campaine to get CAGERS to share the road. It has worked quite well. But becuse the cost of signage It has slowed. I would like to see the D.O.T. spend some money on the vary same thing. Instead of Helmet LAWS!!!!
    • 1855 posts
    February 28, 2012 9:28 AM PST
    We have signs all over the place here in Ohio; in front yards and some state roads that the state actually put up. The banners in our yards say, "Be alert motorcycles are everywhere". But ya know, ya just can't preach to the deaf and inconsiderate.

Peace
    • 601 posts
    February 28, 2012 9:42 AM PST
    Happy you got away daemonised, fella I know was killed on Sunday evening last.... another case of "I didn't see him"..

• 580 posts
    February 28, 2012 9:46 AM PST
    Bloke got knocked off his bike right outside my house a few weeks back by a guy who's worked across the road for 20 years. For 20 years he's used my drive to do a u-turn so he could park his car outside work facing the right way to go back home and this time he didn't see the bike behind him. For 20 years he's done it without incident. First reaction was - typical bloody car driver. Second was - poor bloke cos he was as much shaken as the rider, in fact more so for missing him on his blind spot. He's learned a lesson the hard way to double check blind spot and fortunately the rider was unhurt - though he had to wait in my kitchen till his bike could get towed away. We SHOULD do more about educating car drivers but by the same token remember that even with all that it only takes a second or two of a slip in concentration (thinking of that argument you had with the wife this morning, that important call you've gotta make when you get to work etc) for any one of us to be in their shoes.

Just saying .. .. ...
    • 2 posts
    February 28, 2012 12:16 PM PST
    Tell everybody "we are out there", put up signs, affix bumper stickers, the state, the county & ABATE put up billboards - all the while knowing flossing my teeth would be a better use of my time.

Not many people actually aim for motorcycles, tho there are a few out there. - The people who hit motorcycles could just as easily hit a kid steeping off the curb, a bicyclist or another car. - Don't know how to teach AWARENESS
  • Ry
    February 28, 2012 4:03 PM PST
     I saw something interesting to this on the Aerostitch website where the rider can throw a magnetic "yellow card" on cages that are not staying where they should to remind the driver that there are bikers out there who's lives can be taken due to their carelessness. I bought it was kind of a neat idea as far letting them know why we honk, swerve, gesture, etc...

Link to them here:

http://www.aerostich.com/yellow-cards.html type="_moz" />
    • 3006 posts
    February 28, 2012 4:22 PM PST
    chocmintz wrote...
    Bloke got knocked off his bike right outside my house a few weeks back by a guy who's worked across the road for 20 years. For 20 years he's used my drive to do a u-turn so he could park his car outside work facing the right way to go back home and this time he didn't see the bike behind him. For 20 years he's done it without incident. First reaction was - typical bloody car driver. Second was - poor bloke cos he was as much shaken as the rider, in fact more so for missing him on his blind spot. He's learned a lesson the hard way to double check blind spot and fortunately the rider was unhurt - though he had to wait in my kitchen till his bike could get towed away. We SHOULD do more about educating car drivers but by the same token remember that even with all that it only takes a second or two of a slip in concentration (thinking of that argument you had with the wife this morning, that important call you've gotta make when you get to work etc) for any one of us to be in their shoes.

Just saying .. .. ...

great post/reply and I agree 100% all it takes is second or two slip,and even law enforcement isnt immune to this factor.Any sort of slip on a drivers part can be and often is fatal for motorcyclists.