Just had to do it...

• 9 posts
    February 27, 2012 11:26 PM PST

OMG!  I just had to do it yesterday...I stopped in the local H-D dealership (cause it's right across the street from my son's college's apartments).  I'd been curious to "see" one of the new "72's".  WOW!  Daggone, that bike is PURTY!  And not altogether unreasonably priced.  (around 10K for the stripped down version).  And of course, the 2012 Dark Custom was sittin' right next to that.  AWESOME!!!  The new paint rocks.  I'm sick of all the "bobbers" and matte black...ugh!  It was all good, right up til the salesmen goes..."what's it gonna take for us to get ya on one of these today"?  I just laughed.  And said.."well, if you can help me clear up my credit issue's, I'd ride outta here, right now"...   A test ride, would've been FAR too tempting for me yesterday.  Feel me?  Muahaahaaahaaaa!!!

Ride FREE? 
    TWEEK

• 19067 posts
    February 27, 2012 11:36 PM PST
    I stay away from those enticements mostly cause I can resist anything but temptation...
  • February 28, 2012 12:21 AM PST
    Tweek i saw the same thing last week. Just need to get a few kids on their way. Then one's for me!
    • 1855 posts
    February 28, 2012 12:25 AM PST
    Gypsy and I visited Signature Harley in Perrysburg on Saturday (about 75 miles north of us).  Lots of nice new and used rides in stock.  Gypsy likes the clothing line there, often wondering (aloud) why HD thinks all women are size 5. I just needed to get out of the damn house so I took her shopping.  She didn't buy anything probably 'cuz we don't need anything and she's not frivilous.  Still, I'm always tempted to grab another motorcycle; need or not.  

Then headed back south and west to Ben Breece HD in Ottowa, Ohio; by far the best dealer in Ohio IMHO.  Dealt with Ben many years ago but Ben is gone and son Bernie runs the place now.  Ben taught his son well.  I don't believe there isn't anything he doesn't know about motorcycles and as a business man he knows how to give a fair shake to his customers.  Anyway......................................

We didn't buy anything there either. Saw that new softail up close...yeah, frontend is kind o' ugly.

Hope things change for ya Tweek.  Gypsy and I will be rooting for ya.

peace
  • February 28, 2012 12:41 AM PST
    I saw the 72, the paint job is awesome! That new Softail slim is pretty hot too. But I guess I am a softy towards Bobbers.
  • February 28, 2012 12:53 AM PST
    I have never yet found a Harley that I actually like as standard...

When I picked up my '96 Low Rider in '99 the first things I did was rip the front end off completely and stuck a Wide Glide front end on, I took the 1340 EVO out and gave it to a friend and just said "FIX IT", he knows what I mean...lol...it had only done 3000 miles and he stripped and full rebore and rebuilt in a few days and now its a 1402 full stage one with drag pipes, would have done it myself but was busy at the time and he is best for those engines anyway...lol...

Then I ripped off the Harley brakes and added very upgraded kit, now it does "stoppies" ...lol... But if you hit the front brake too hard even in a straight line it just locks up and will high or low side you instantly, anybody tries to steal it its going to kill them by the first corner...lol...

I stuck the after market extra forward forward controls on it with extended rods, and then swapped the tyres for the new Harley triple compound ones, on twisty lanes I go round the inside of sports bikes and really p*$$ them off!!!  I can crank mine right over and almost scraping the footpegs on every corner.....well, ya gotta have fun... right?
  • February 28, 2012 2:50 AM PST
    Tweek, that's why I bought the Switchback! I knew I had to have it, best of both worlds... FL front end and the rest was a Dyna. I have softails, thanks but no thanks and I've had Sportster... again, I'm very much a big fan of the Dyna and when I saw what they did to the Switchback with the design I KNEW that was the bike for me! My concept of 'building' is from the inside out. Not all the concerned about looks but moreover function of the design. At some point I will be adding an upgraded set of brakes (single disc brakes on an FL? I think not!) Next up I'm adding engine guards!
    • 1855 posts
    February 28, 2012 9:38 AM PST
    Engine guards?
    • 580 posts
    February 28, 2012 9:53 AM PST
    I know the feeling Tweek but at least I've got Ethel. If owt happens to her though I'll not be able to replace her. Shame you couldn't make the test ride though - that would have been ace lol (o:
    • 846 posts
    February 28, 2012 10:01 AM PST
    Tweek you got to watch out for those I'm just drop in to the shop for a minute. A few years ago a buddy asked were the local HD dealer was and we headed off at lunch for him to look at bikes. Well long story short I had no intention of buying a bike (not that year at least) and sure as not what did I do? Yep walk out with a new Road King that I ride now. I wasn't in the best of financial shape but they made it happen and I was off.
    • 3006 posts
    February 28, 2012 10:51 AM PST
    Hey Tweek ; ) thats sort of like tempting fate rite?? the minute you throw a leg over that saddle your sunk LOL !
    thats what happened with me,I had visited my local Harley dealer and did the seat test,yet nothing felt right to me,the salesmen were smucks and treated me like crap.Went down the street to the local Honda dealer,did the seat test and thought wow this fits like a glove,before I could even ask they offered me the keys,took her around downtown Oakland, came back in about an hour and bought her.
    After 57000 plus miles of smiles I have no regrets.My next bike could be a Harley or a Vic or another Honda,for me it all boils down to what fits & the sort of dealership I do business with.
  • February 28, 2012 10:59 AM PST
    Ya can always test in Daytona Speedway, Dudes to be honest, if I had the Dollars I'd get a vrod for fun...........yeah in their test area we did 120 behind the airport there, I told the group guide that's what I wanted to so he said get on this bike, right behind him, freaking fun, I just forgot what it feels like when that hits your face what it feels like. have a great one "T"
    • 5420 posts
    February 28, 2012 12:12 PM PST
    Aw Tweek, I'm always looking at things I can't have...

When the guy asked"what's it gonna take for us to get ya on one of these today?"  you should have said, "just the keys... why don't you be a dear and run get them for me".
    • 567 posts
    February 28, 2012 1:08 PM PST
    My answer to that "what's it gonna take" line is .... the winning lotto numbers.
    But still ... it sure is fun to look at all them purdy bikes.
    • 567 posts
    February 28, 2012 1:09 PM PST
    btw ... Tweek ... if'n you get down to Destination Daytona for Bike Week .. you'll prolly find me drooling over them purdy Road Kings.
    • 9 posts
    February 28, 2012 11:21 PM PST
    I'm plannin' on going down Bill, even if I gotta take the POS van and sleep in it! At least my head'll be covered if it rains... And Lucky, love that response. Wish I would'a been quik enuf to think of that...lol! All I could stumble out was somethin' about fixin' my "credit issues". Hey...I ain't worried. It'll happen when the Maker figures it's time.
    (Prolly when HE gets sick of that particular prayer, eh? LOL)

Ride Free
    Tweek