ReStating the Obvious

• 2 posts
    February 22, 2012 10:48 AM PST

How Motorcycles Could Eradicate Traffic

Swapping cars for bikes drastically reduces traffic and emissions, according to a new study.

. . .  motorcycles get far better gas mileage than passenger cars and trucks, so it follows that if motorcycles replaced cars on the roads, gas consumption would decrease. But traffic would also drop significantly -- a revelation that comes courtesy of a new study by a Belgian transportation-resea​rch firm. 

Researchers used computer-modeling software to analyze a stretch of highway between the Belgian cities of Leuven and Brussels, pulling from rush-hour traffic statistics during a typical workday last May. They found that if 10 percent of cars were replaced by motorcycles, drivers' commuting times would decrease by 40 percent and emissions would drop by 6 percent. (The latter is a combination of the fact that motorcycles inherently have lower emissions and that emission rates drop as a vehicle's speed increases -- which it is wont to do when traffic lightens or dissipates.) 

Moreover, when the results were extrapolated to Belgium's other highways, the time savings for all vehicles was 15,000 hours per day. And when 25 percent of cars were swapped out for motorcycles, traffic was eliminated entirely.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost-tru.aspx?post=3ee3b791-cde5-44c4-a95f-7081c47f8059&icid=autos_2417  />

• 0 posts
    February 22, 2012 11:09 AM PST
    SHIT AYE? SOME WANKER IN A LAB COAT PROLLY GOT A BIG GOVERNMENT GRANT TO DO THIS RESEARCH...GOT ME BUGGERED...CHEERS BOOF
    • 1161 posts
    February 22, 2012 11:20 AM PST
    Go figure those of us on bikes have been saying this for years. Morons!
  • February 22, 2012 11:23 AM PST
    LOL! Government monies hard at work! have a great one! "T"
  • February 22, 2012 11:34 AM PST
    Go figer. Expect the price of used bikes to jump over the summer, Once we see 5.00 bucks per gallon I expect to see the intire market go nuts.
    • 0 posts
    February 22, 2012 4:18 PM PST
    But you know that does not work here in the USA, right. Makes too much sense. The gas company's or the government will find a researcher somewhere and say, "I need you to do a study, here is the money, and this is the outcome I want. Make it happen"
    No money in conserving, we need to spend more to achieve results. that is how it works here...
  • February 22, 2012 11:10 PM PST
    @ GsryTJ - no lie. I was working on a small educational research project. Sent the data off to the university statistics lab, got an email asking, "How would you like to massage the data?' After that, I ran my own results. A lot of research is on the up-and-up, but reading research, one never knows.
    • 1855 posts
    February 23, 2012 12:02 AM PST
    O.K. then. I think we're spcecial and I don't want a world of idiots fkn up our lifestyle. Everyone on mc's? Please pray it never happens.
    • 16870 posts
    February 23, 2012 2:58 AM PST
    These kind of studies make me feel like an intellectual giant. :-)
  • February 23, 2012 4:19 AM PST
    Wow, I'm a friggin GENIUS!!!
    • 1855 posts
    February 23, 2012 5:39 AM PST
    It's difficult not to believe you're the smartest person you know,eh?!
  • February 23, 2012 6:19 AM PST

Do you see them scooter and moped things from 50cc to 125cc etc? Especially the one I torched with the jet trike...because our gas prices here in London are approx $11 a gallon a whole load of office types etc and all the kids grabbed these things and the market rocketed...now here is the thing...these total novices when they bought their insurance policies it is classed as a scooter or a moped.....WHEN they crash it is classed AS A MOTORCYCLE!!!  What this has done is sent MY insurance prices up drastically because these crappy little things are classed as a motorcycle statistic when they crash!!!  My insurance has gone up to 4 times the amount it was just over 10 years ago!!!   2YEARS AGO MY INSURANCE JUMPED UP BY 114% BECAUSE OF THESE IDIOTS!!!!!

I have been riding for 42 years without even getting so much as a gravel rash on a hand, without even losing one off a sidestand, no incident that was anything to do with my fault...AND I AM PENALISED BECAUSE OF STATISTICS!!!

MARK MY WORDS THAT IF THEY PUSH FOR SMALL CC MOPEDS AND SCOOTERS IN USA  CITIES IT WILL TURN THE SAME AS IT HAS HERE!!!

Sorry, Thats my rant for the day done.....

• February 23, 2012 6:50 AM PST
    The hell you say! LOL
    • 0 posts
    February 23, 2012 6:54 AM PST
    Jet old mate we have a shit load of scooter rooters here..We also have a shitload of illegal immigrants on scooters..I was riding the buell one day doing a right hand turn and a Max Biaggi wannabe on a scooter came in under me and tried to take my line..I kicked that f#cker and he dropped off...You can ride a scooter here on a car licence so these dickwads have no friggin idea and are bloody dangerous...CHEERS BOOF
    • 16870 posts
    February 23, 2012 10:14 AM PST
    Jetman wrote...

MARK MY WORDS THAT IF THEY PUSH FOR SMALL CC MOPEDS AND SCOOTERS IN USA  CITIES IT WILL TURN THE SAME AS IT HAS HERE!!!

What will become of the Rockers and Mods.

• 2 posts
    February 23, 2012 10:30 AM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    Jetman wrote...

. . . 

Man, did you date yoursel!

(Now, if we could just  bring back cafe racing.)

• 16870 posts
    February 24, 2012 4:49 AM PST
    99Savage wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    Jetman wrote...

. . . 

Man, did you date yoursel!

(Now, if we could just  bring back cafe racing.)

Indeed!