Changes in Time and Attitude

• 80 posts
    February 20, 2012 1:03 AM PST
    I got my first HD XLCH during the early 70's.  It wasn't considered to be a "Chicks" bike in those days.  Few women had their own bikes anyway.  Bikers were still not considered to be socially acceptable either.  No one would even speak to a person who trailered a operable bike to an event.  We rode with bedrolls on the bars and bare bones rigging.  Later I moved up to a Panhead and rode that bike for many a year and overhaul.  Attitudes remained the same throughout, but socially acceptable people were starting to buy motorcycles.  I started riding a shovelhead and made a road trip from San Diego to Daytona and back.  I wouldn't even consider a trailer for a road trip although by then I no longer thought much about others trailering to an event.  In 2005 I bought a Heritage Softail.  I now have a wife younger than I am that rides her own bike.  We have done our traveling on the bikes and camped with a small mountain tent.  My body began to feel the cold more and ache more after a night on the ground.  My wife suggested a trailer and I declined.  This last year I did buy a trailer for long distance travel.  Funny how time and age changes attitudes.  When a rider makes comments about a trailer now, I just smile -- Been there Done that.
    • 1855 posts
    February 20, 2012 1:22 AM PST
    So True..................The big thing with me is that "I don't WANT to trailer" and I fight the idea. Yet, I do have a trailer and I did buy it specifically to haul the bike because, inspite of what we want to believe, the body does feel the aches and the pains and the cold. I've had the trailer for a number of years but I've only hauled my bike a couple of times. And that was because I had to get another bike south so a friend of mine in Arkansas could do some work on it while the OL and I rode on to Key West.

Being retired allows us to compensate a bit. We don't camp any more. And we don't haul ass in any power runs. We only spend 6 hours riding and then we stay at a motel to enjoy a nice hot shower, a comfortable bed, etc. Yep, we'll spend some bucks doing that but it's just a thing.

Peace
  • February 20, 2012 1:59 AM PST
    I'm 58, I am technically 3 limb disabled, and I still ride, but then, we dont have the distances that you guys in USA have, I wish we did, My Harley is a mongrel, it started its life as an FXDL being built in York, PA... Then imported into England, the guy I bought it from was emigrating to Canada and had to have a quick sale, so he dropped the price amazingly low and I bought it immediately...It was 3 years old and only had 3,000 miles on it...first thing I did was rip it apart and change almost everything to how I wanted it... I didn't like the front end and so changed it for a FXDWG front end, the brakes are upgraded and I can actually do ''stoppies'' with it...lol...the motor was a 1340cc EVO -I yanked that out and gave it to a friend who did 'things' to it, it is now apparently a 1402cc - full stage 1 - with drag pipes...lol...Its the loudest Harley and probably one of the fastest in West London, UK...

Apart from obvious minimal care and obvious services when I deemed it to be neccesary it aint been touched in all the time I had it, not even a belt change...its a '96 import and I had it since '99.....

I never liked Harleys - I always thought they were over priced, and way too much vibration to be enjoyable for riding long distance, and always heard stories of breakdowns OFTEN! - I favoured the larger Honda Cruisers, Yamaha Cruisers etc... I had 2 VT 1100cc Shadows, and an XS 1100 (US Imports all of them), none of which ever let me down.

My little brother bought a Harley, earliest of the EVO's (FXDWG) and he let me ride it, I kept it near 3 months, not letting him have it back, I wanted to prove that they were no good, but I enjoyed it so much that I started modifying it for a better ride and more accurate handling and was suitably impressed with the results, and so was he when I finally allowed him to have his bike back!!! Lol...

I got mine not long after that...lol...I wont go into details of the cash I actually paid but let me say this...I have had this machine for a large number of years now, riding it very often, and have put more miles on it than most Harley riders in UK will ever do...lol...I had it valued recently (it aint for sale!) but thought I would find out from a dealer what he thought it was worth...here is the shock.....It Is STILL worth what I paid for it now and THAT was the TRADE IN PRICE not the RESELL PRICE!!!

Oh Yes...I Like My Harley and we have fun out there often.....What became of the Shadows and the XS1100 you may ask?...well, I sold them on...I think I will stay with THIS Harley, its a good bike, it rides really well, Winter, Summer, no matter, it takes me where I want to go and it aint grumbled once!!!

Good huh?
  • February 20, 2012 2:27 AM PST
    I'm 45 and I just discovered why everyone loves these windshields! So many years with the wind, bugs, rocks, flying debris in my face and it never occurred to me to just throw on a windshield?!?!? Yup I'm still learning! LOL
  • February 20, 2012 2:37 AM PST
    I found out about windsheilds just a few years ago...lol...yeah same as, bugs, dirt etc hitting me all my life, I still forget the windsheild often...lol...but .....

I found a small Harley windsheild at Destination Daytona 3 years ago, it was in a mammoth sale with a HALF PRICE ticket on it (it had already been reduced!) and then I got a further 20% off as it was a promo day...lol...I paid less than a quarter of the original asking price for it and smuggled it back to ENGLAND in my suitcases...lol...Its a smaller Harley clip-on windsheild, and its GOOD! (When I remember to put it on the bike!!! Hahahahahahahaa!!!
    • 846 posts
    February 20, 2012 2:43 AM PST
    Yes there are the few comforts we look forward to as we age. I've gone from a Sportster to a Road King. Why comfort and being able to ride longer in the saddle. The wind shield does come in handy on the long rides and why I like to take it off now and again. Camping is no longer just a sleeping bag and tarp. But a tent and nice thick sleeping pad and may be a camp chair too as the picnic table no longer are as comfortable as they use to be. But the one thing is although I've a few comfort items I still want to get out on the road and spend the night outdoor. But don't we all.
  • February 20, 2012 2:44 AM PST
    My new bike came with a windshield and at first I thought about boxing it up and putting it away until I just kept forgetting to take it off and if I go on a good long trip I notice I'm no longer covered in bugs! I think I like it! heheheh
    • 9 posts
    February 20, 2012 11:45 PM PST
    When I bought my brand new XLH back in '90, there were two identically painted bikes sitting side by side. Hi-Fi Blue & Silver paint. (These were among the only 500 or so with that paint). But that was where the similarities ended. One was all chromed out with spoke wheels and a sissy bar, crash-bars,...and a windshield. Very "pretty". The "other", was all decked out with black and chrome accessories. Mag wheels (which I prefer) and just looked more biker-ish. And I was all about the "look" of that one. So I bought it. And "Blue" and I had many good
    years together. Some bumps in the road, a couple of wrecks. And she was always good to me. But there was more than one time, when I wished I'd of had that windshield. I took a gigrontis bug to the forehead once, that near took me clean off of that bike. OUCH! And the older I got, the colder I got. And the windshield might've helped that, too. All in all, if I had to do it over again, I still would've chosen the bike I did. But I think as I look back on things, the smart money would've added a windshield. Looks ain't everything. And...you can't stop age.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 80 posts
    February 21, 2012 12:08 AM PST
    Getting older is better than the alternative
  • February 21, 2012 1:58 AM PST
    Well, as the older part I decided to stop beating myself sensless with the old sportster and sold her to Jimmy whom made it into a bad ass chopper, took the cash and bought an Dyna Lowrider, 6 years after bought a King. I don't trailer and haven't I'm afraid if I put it on one it might just flip upside down and throw a fit, but i have stayed more often in hotels, camped with an air matress for comfort sake, and well will give my self more time to enjoy what I see around me than I used to. have a great one! "T"
  • February 21, 2012 2:49 AM PST
    Since mama won't be going to the Black Hills with me this year I'm going ultra light! In fact I'll be forwarding any necessary camping items to the campgrounds with a return shipping label so when I'm done box it up and take it back to the office.
    T yup the air mattress, that's a must and for the rally I'll zip over to the Spearfish Wally World and buy me a cheapy and when the rally is over I'm just gonna dump it. I'm getting to wear the ground is just not an option anymore! We have friends that set up a dining area and I usually pitch in so I can have the occasional breakfast and or dinner with them. I don't like eating all that garbage they serve there for the prices they're asking.
    Yup I use the KISS method anymore, I still manage to have a great time and I don't have to make anything complicated... just have a good time, the rest will take care of itself!
    • 1855 posts
    February 21, 2012 5:35 AM PST
    Seawolf wrote...
    Getting older is better than the alternative

Amen to that.

• October 9, 2012 12:16 AM PDT
    Camping isnt always comfortable or convenient -but its interesting. Most of the time, its also cleaner. Hotels, even relatively expensive ones, tend to have a lot of.....residue left by previous guests.