This will keep ya from spending money

• 1780 posts
    January 29, 2012 9:55 AM PST
    Well the Dragon drives a 2006 Black Dodge 1500 SLT duel cab with a 5.7 HEMI. I just paid the truck off about 3 months ago. Now in the past when I would pay off a car/Truck I felt like I needed to buy a new one.
    NOT THIS TIME.....I tried something a little different. I wanted the truck to appear like a new or another pre owned Truck ...so I wouldn't be tempted to buy a new one and back into the payments again. This is what I did to the 06 Dodge to make it look different, and make me happy. First I removed all the chrome extra's, like the chrome strips on the side, chrome fuel door...etc. Then I installed a LEBra on the front to cover up some parking dents in the front bumper. Painted my steps (up into the cab) Black to match the truck. Then I bought some new tires (which I needed) and black custom wheels. I have already had several people ask me if I bought a new truck......NOPE, but I'm happy as a clam.
    I love driving the old girl that now looks like a new girl.
    Two more things to do to the old girl is.......install a Police type push bumper, and tint the driver and pasenger windows.
    If or when I work another crappy Apt. complex I want all the Bangers to say (as I drive in) Oh shit ...here comes Black Death! My Trucks new Name!!

Styling Dragon
  • January 29, 2012 10:08 AM PST
    Couldn't agree more,the best thing to have is something thats paid for car,truck,bike it don't matter.With the economy tanked like it is smart move on your part.Satisfied you itch with what amounts to a couple of payments
    • 611 posts
    January 29, 2012 10:46 AM PST
    "The Black Death"? Whatta great name Dragon! Congrats on the 'Pay-Off' and the decision to stay the course... Ya outta post a coupla shots of the BDeath... Hope you are feeling better. Life is good, stay calm but alert and hope that you find JUST what you are looking for...
    EdgeWalker
    • 2072 posts
    January 29, 2012 10:46 AM PST
    DO NOT like payments of any kind. Everything we have (with the exception of a couple more years on the house) are paid for. 4X4 Truck, convertible, dune buggy, boat, camper AND bike. When I think about buying something new I start thinking about payments and the economy..... Snaps me back to reality real quick !!!!!!
    • 1780 posts
    January 29, 2012 11:06 AM PST
    BlvdCruiser wrote...
    DO NOT like payments of any kind. Everything we have (with the exception of a couple more years on the house) are paid for. 4X4 Truck, convertible, dune buggy, boat, camper AND bike. When I think about buying something new I start thinking about payments and the economy..... Snaps me back to reality real quick !!!!!!

Very Cool ...You da Man
    • 19067 posts
    January 29, 2012 10:49 PM PST
    Yep no more payments for me either. If I can't pay cash I can't afford it. I have finally learned that I can live very simply and be very happy.
  • January 29, 2012 11:00 PM PST
    Rex, I like your thinking! After owning & operating a family business for over 35yrs I finally sold it in '09 - Been debt free ever since. There's a popular radio show host who proclaims that mantra as well - he says 'being debt free is taking the place of the fashionable BMW as the status symbol of wealth. I like his thinking too~
    • 1780 posts
    January 30, 2012 12:09 AM PST
    I remember reading somewhere one way to a debt free lifestyle is...buy a very used car pay cash, and when it breaks down do the same thing again, and just continue that pattern. Never put any money back into the old beater ride.
    • 2 posts
    January 30, 2012 1:05 AM PST
    NightDragon wrote...
    I remember reading somewhere one way to a debt free lifestyle is...buy a very used car pay cash, and when it breaks down do the same thing again, and just continue that pattern. Never put any money back into the old beater ride.

Bought POS cars & "Penny Saver" motorcycles for over a decade, well several decads in the case of the motorcycles  - When deciding to fix or scrap look @ what it would cost to get a vehicle or equal RELIABILITY

• 19067 posts
    January 30, 2012 1:36 AM PST
    NightDragon wrote...

That is one way, and why I own a 23 year old RV, a 27 year old Jeep. Rex, my 04 King, was that last thing I made payments on and I paid that off in 2 years. Don't own any credit cards either, just Visa debit. All of this would have been harder to do if I didn't make some good decisions about 30 years ago though.