Check 6

• 1780 posts
    January 5, 2012 12:52 AM PST
    I relize sometimes I might sign off from a post by saying Remember to "Check 6" . For those that don't understand that term let me explain where it came from and what it means when I say it. It is a Fighter Pilot's term meaning Check your 6 oclock or behind you, because that is a favorite position for an enemy to position themself to shoot you down. If I tell you to Check 6 that means when you out in public check behind you from time to time, as that also is a favorite position for someone to grab or attack you.
    I want all my CF Family to be safe and alert when out in public, and Remember to Check 6

The Night Dragon
    • 16870 posts
    January 5, 2012 3:42 AM PST
    I've never flew a jet, but I've been launched from a sub.
  • January 5, 2012 11:22 PM PST
    Thanks!
  • January 5, 2012 11:43 PM PST
    Gotcha Dragon in my world it was " Keep The Turns Up " (rotor rpm ) or revs.
    • 1855 posts
    January 6, 2012 12:44 AM PST
    "On your six" or right behind you or I'm with you or lead the way. It's carried over to all uniformed branches. Thanks for the post.

Peace
    • 3006 posts
    January 6, 2012 3:25 AM PST

As a daily rider,I cant stress this enough to newbe's,always watch your rears,even when your pushing your bike alongside of the highway.

Recently read about a male n female pushing broke down bike at nite,out in Oildale Calif,alongside the higway,were struck from the rear n killed by a police officer responding to a 911 call,who apparently didnt see them pushing the bike alongside the highway at nite.Repeated inquirys to what the nature of the emergency was by local news reporters went unanswered as of the time when I read the article.

Anyone who drives at nite should know the hazard of coming up fast on a car stopped dead in fast lane at nite that has no lights,your lucky to avoid it usually or any other object that isnt lit up.

So always watch your "6" especially on a bike !!! Its saved me 3 times now from serious injury/accidents from fools runnin up too fast on stop lights.

Thanks for the comments too Savage,its always good to make light of others misery ehh???
    • 2 posts
    January 8, 2012 7:05 AM PST
    As a daily rider,I cant stress this enough to newbe's,always watch your rears,even when your pushing your bike alonside the highway.
  • January 8, 2012 8:21 AM PST
    Yup on that 99
    • 9 posts
    January 9, 2012 12:10 AM PST
    The dealership owners daughter, where I bought my bike, (who got her's at the same time, and we took our Safety Courses, together in Tampa), was struck from behind and killed, just a few short years later. I got into a habit of NOT "checking my six" for a while after that, cause I just didn't want to know if I was gonna die... Now, however, I've come to realize that had she been aware, she might've been able to jump outta the way. I'm always on the mirrors now. That's great advice for anyone.

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 1780 posts
    January 9, 2012 11:44 AM PST
    I've posted this little tip before,but one to remember.....When you see a car on a side street about to pull out onto the street your on.......don't look at the entire car to see if it' moving forward,look at the left front wheel. Most cars now days have some sort of spoke ( mag )wheels and it't easer to notice one spoke moving rather than the entire car.
    Be safe out there and don't forget to check 6
    Dragon
  • January 9, 2012 3:25 PM PST
    Thanks Dragon for the reminder, as the years and miles roll by we tend to forget little safety tips that can come back to bite us.