Rex the Road Dog is PO'd!

• 19067 posts
    January 4, 2012 5:06 AM PST

OK I am officially pissed!!!
    Just went to Modell's for some new sneakers, saw a pair of boot/sneaker type things with the brand name "Smith's American." Looked all over the box for the 'made in USA' label and didn't see one. Looked inside the tongue and guess what is said? Made in China! I complained to every store employee, including the mgr who didn't seem to care. I will also send nasty emails to the shoe company and Modell's letting them know my feelings. What a bunch of deceptive CRAP!

Buy American!

• 277 posts
    January 4, 2012 5:13 AM PST

• January 4, 2012 5:54 AM PST
    X2 what she said!
    • 395 posts
    January 4, 2012 6:01 AM PST
    Good thing you looked...they expect consumers to just "take their word".....you really have to pay attention...hope you find some good made in america shoes......
    • 2 posts
    January 4, 2012 8:03 AM PST
    When I was serious about running honestly preferred the US made "New Balance" shoes.

Think they are still the only US made running shoes - Think they still are good shoes - Used to be real spendy & they probably still are.
    • 1780 posts
    January 4, 2012 8:07 AM PST
    Here ya go, this will make ya feel safe the next time you fly somewhere...........Quite a bit of the parts in Commercial Aircraft have been "Out Sourced" to other countrys because of the cost to manufacture here. Now the problem we have here is the people that are making the parts, in other countries, that are installed on our Commercial Aircraft cannot read our Blue Prints, so they have to color code the prints just so the part can get make. The Prime Contractor....Boeing etc...has a Quality Rep located at these plants to help with the Mfg. process, but is only one person, and cannot witness the Mfg of every part. In America Aerospace Manufacture Employees are making $30.00 an hour, in Mexico the Employee is making $10.00 a day. That savings on the Out sources parts goes into the Prime Contractors Pocket. Let me tell you another thing.....Prime Contractors (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc) only care about ON TIME DELIVERY, and the hell with Quality.
    Now if there is anyone out there that would like to discuss this matter, and the correctiveness of what I say please respond. I spend many years in a position to know.
    Dragon
    All
    • 1161 posts
    January 4, 2012 6:13 PM PST
    Yep, when I was a machine operator I lost my job I had making transmission parts to China. And before that it was ONLY made in the USA.
    • 63 posts
    January 4, 2012 10:46 PM PST
    Amazin g how many things there are being out sourced nowadays,,,, even alot of our food comes from somewhere else
    • 638 posts
    January 4, 2012 10:57 PM PST
    Its only going get worse. We owe so much money to china right now its pitiful
    • 1855 posts
    January 4, 2012 11:46 PM PST
    We're finished buying things. I figure at 63 years of age I shouldn't have to buy anymore clothes over the next 20 years or so. I've gotta enough T-shirts to last 100 years anyway and jeans only get more valuable as the years go by. We're not into gadgets and we have our furniture, bed linens, towels, etc. It's the last motorcycle we're going to buy and while there are foreign made products in Harleys, I don't think any of them are made in China.

The real problem/issue: One can't be sure what the government buys from China and passes on to us in other ways. But yeah, we don't buy Chinese goods and just to make sure we're not going to buy anything from now on. LOL

Peace
    • 16870 posts
    January 5, 2012 3:45 AM PST
    What gets me is American flags being made over seas.
    • 3006 posts
    January 5, 2012 5:23 AM PST
    Recently bought some hiking boots "caterpillar" brand,at Sears,made in bangladesh..LOL..the slave/sweat shops are scattered all over the world it aint just China,the reasons for it fairly obvious,the solutions fairly simple,the need & desire to do whats necessary doubtful?
    I agree wholeheartedly buy American,its a great starting point !!
    • 19067 posts
    January 5, 2012 9:32 PM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    What gets me is American flags being made over seas.

ABSOLUTLY the biggest Insult. Saw some of them in Wally World last year. Would NEVER Do that!.

• January 5, 2012 11:15 PM PST
    Amazing!
    • 846 posts
    January 6, 2012 4:19 AM PST
    New Balance still has a factory and a real factory outlet in Lawrence Ma. near where I live. Still you need to be careful as only the high end stuff is still made here in Ma. and they carry all there lines at the outlet. I’m due to make a trip there shortly and the goal is to only buy only a pair of US made sneakers. I let you all know the outcome when I go.
    It just takes a little looking and hunting but you can find some US made products. In the last year I’ve replaced my leather riding jacket with one made in the US and locally too (due to the poor workmanship of the old one) along with my work boots Chippewa’s (you have to be careful there too as not all are made in the US). So the products exist but not at the box stores.

Mike, I don't blame you for being PO'd, more of us should me.

• 9 posts
    January 6, 2012 5:32 AM PST
    Dragon's right. And that's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. And like the Titanic, this country is slipping farther and farther under the surface. We're all drowning, we just may not know it yet. If ya'll think the economy will improve for us, as long as the manufacturer's keep shipping jobs abroad, then you need a reality check. They say the job market is improving, but do you want to know where? The service industry. Hotel, restaurant, and medical
    service jobs. This country wasn't made the giant it once was, by waiting tables...feel me? And speaking as someone with a direct link to the service industry, I've got nothing against making a living that way, OK? It's just not going to bring us out of this economic funk. Only BIG employers with BIG contracts and lots of jobs can help us to do that. And manufacturing is one of the biggest. Should we depend on these BIG companies to rescue us? NO! That's not the answer either. That dependancy is also why we're in the shape that we're in. But what we do need to do, is diversify, and spread our "talents" as far and as wide as they'll go. But NOT by outsourcing work that can be done without breaking the bank, right here in the good ole' USA.
    AND, by buying AMERICAN, wherever we can.

Our dependancy upon foreign goods and services, has put us in precarious straights. You want it right now? Then you'll probably buy foreign simply because it's more readily available. WE HAVE TO STICK TO OUR GUNS, Ya'll!
    If WE EVER want things to improve, the buck HAS TO STOP WITH US!!!

Ride Free
    Tweek

• January 13, 2012 5:05 AM PST
    I agree with you 100%
  • January 14, 2012 2:09 AM PST
    So much for honesty igt? Rex ya got the bastardos by the jugler vien....don't let up...CRAP I get sick on the amount of love n respect so msny people have towards our GREAT Country! God Bless America...
    Be Well...

IceBear...
  • January 14, 2012 2:23 AM PST
    NightDragon wrote...
    Here ya go, this will make ya feel safe the next time you fly somewhere...........Quite a bit of the parts in Commercial Aircraft have been "Out Sourced" to other countrys because of the cost to manufacture here. Now the problem we have here is the people that are making the parts, in other countries, that are installed on our Commercial Aircraft cannot read our Blue Prints, so they have to color code the prints just so the part can get make. The Prime Contractor....Boeing etc...has a Quality Rep located at these plants to help with the Mfg. process, but is only one person, and cannot witness the Mfg of every part. In America Aerospace Manufacture Employees are making $30.00 an hour, in Mexico the Employee is making $10.00 a day. That savings on the Out sources parts goes into the Prime Contractors Pocket. Let me tell you another thing.....Prime Contractors (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc) only care about ON TIME DELIVERY, and the hell with Quality.
    Now if there is anyone out there that would like to discuss this matter, and the correctiveness of what I say please respond. I spend many years in a position to know.
    Dragon
    All

Good shot Kenny, My wife is a wax developmetal engineer at this company for 31 years, the same company I retired from in 2000 after 25 years
    What they are doing at her company is outsourcing with n the State...They Are contracting gating systems to this outside company, making our experienced people train them...so...The payrate for these outsiders are just a little over min wage with no chance of bentfits.

Ther have raised the productivity % and it is being checked daily....My wifes job pay is  $30.05 n hr. with pertty good benifts...the plan is to push out the older, higher paid employees for the younger lower paid employees...

WoW... Americans Screwing  Over Americans for the all mighty dollar...

Be Well...IceBear

• 1855 posts
    January 14, 2012 2:30 AM PST
    Here is a list of just a few places where you can purchase "American made" products. One thing you will notice is that the prices may be a bit higher but that's the price we should all want to pay to keep jobs in this country.

http://americansworking.com/ /> http://www.allamericanclothing.com/about.html /> http://www.unionlabel.com/ />
    Peace
    • 19067 posts
    January 14, 2012 3:01 AM PST
    Thanks everyone for responding and for the links. We all have to do this whenever we can.

Here is a screen shot of the email I sent to Modells, it has been a week and as of this posting I have received no response from them. So guess where I am not going when next I need something they sell?